Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Brand new lanyard failed! Major safey issue!

Guys read this because this could have turned out way worse. I wanted to replace one of my lanyards as the wrist strap was starting to show signs of wear. The Yamaha dealer only had the ones with a whistle and I just wanted a regular lanyard. I bought a lanyard from this company on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200844906253...84.m1439.l2649 Feedback was good and the design seemed sturdy. I used it for the first time when I went riding with some friends. My friend fell off the waverunner and the lanyard broke, failing to release from the kill switch. The waverunner continued to move under power. My friend attempted to grab it and stop it, failing to do so as the engine was still running. The waverunner struck a dock causing about a 12" crack in the fiberglass on the hull. More importantly, my friend injured his foot as the waverunner struck him while he was attempting to stop it. Fortunately he fell off while traveling at a relatively low rate of speed as the damage could have been way worse and someone could have been severely injured or even killed. I have contacted the seller and am waiting on a response, but right now I am furious. The whole reason I replaced my old lanyard was so there wouldn't be an accident. Below are pics of the failed lanyard as well as the crack in my hull. It didn't seem to take on water yet but I am going to get an estimate to get it repaired and approach the company with it. Be careful out there and pay attention to the parts you buy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130804_223158.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	309383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130804_223143.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	309384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130804_222612.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	309385  

+1
    Did it have a brand name anywhere?

+1
    Think so but I tossed the package. I'll see if its in my dumpster still.

So this is what happens when you buy cheap shit on eBay huh? sorry to hear about this, you can bitch to the eBay seller, but they arent going to do any more then send you another lanyard.

I understand the fiberglass damage, but you seeemed to be more focused on your friend "injury" im Still having a tough time understanding how your friend hurt his ankle..? You said the runnaway ski struck him...do you really mean, he ignorantly his foot in the way thinking somehow it was going to stop the ski ? I've had a few runay skis(some tied to lanyards, and some not) and none ever resulted in injury. I mean at idle speed, you can almost outswim yamahas, tho seadoos idle a bit higher then yamahas. I've had to jump from one ski to another while cruising over 30 to catch a runaway ski and even that didn't result in injury. I stop skis in motion at the sandbar or swimming in the water a million gazillion times under power without issue or injury. Especially not a hurt foot from a ski striking me... I know the lanyard thing stinks, and it having Yamaha printed on it doesn't mean that it's made well. Always check crimps and always test connections out by giving them a good tug...twice

I make my own lanyards and have for years, you can make about 1000 keys on one bag of polymorph. Here is a thread on the how to.
    http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=145800

+1
    The funny thing is this one was more expensive that the ones at the dealer. Figured it be decent. When he fell off the ski was idling away and he tried to swim after it. He grabbed it and the ski spun around. Either he hit his ankle on the ski or the dock. It wasn't major, just some swelling.

+1
    Contacted the seller and he was veey helpful. I didn't realize it but this was a GENUINE YAMAHA LANYARD! I have an estimate from the repair shop and am contacting yamaha customer relations. I want my ski fixed.

+1
    Kinda odd but Yamaha does not show that style on their site and if you Google the part # on his ebay listing it is for a different style than what he is selling?

Either way that sucks! Another reason to have good insurance!

+1
    This is what I purchased
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130805_130142.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	309418  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Kinda odd but Yamaha does not show that style on their site and if you Google the part # on his ebay listing it is for a different style than what he is selling?

Either way that sucks! Another reason to have good insurance!
    Looks like MWV-LANCD-00-RD to me, although the old style before they added the plastic v retainer.

+1
    Thats the part number I have.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information