HOA is starting to hate my boat trailer

So I have a ski, which I keep in my garage on a dolly, but I store the trailer neatly behind my 3rd car garage. The trailer cannot be seen from the neighborhood street at all. I spoke with the board members at first, and they seemed to think that if I added a fence everything would be a-ok, but now thats out of the question.

Here is the Bylaw and Covenant section which they are quoting me:

Section 7. Recreational Vehicles,. Trailers" etc. Recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, trucks (except pickups and passenger vans), travel buses or any such equipment are not permitted on any Lot, the Common Property, or to be parked on streets within the Proper(y, except that a visitor may park a recreational vehicle in a driveway on a Lot for a period not to exceed forty-eight (4 hours, provided the Architectural Control Committee receives advance notice of the time the vehicle will be so parked. No inoperative vehicle shall be parked on any Lot for any period of time in excess of fourteen (14) days. No owners or occupants of any lot or parcel of land shall repair or restore any vehicle of any kind upon any lot or upon any parcel of land, except for emergency repairs, and then only to the extent necessary to enable the movement thereon to a proper repair facility. Notwithstanding the foregoing, vehicles which are for construction, maintenance or repair may be located on the Property or on a Lot; provided, however, no such vehicle shall remain on a Lot or on the Property in excess of forty-eight (4 hours without written approval of the Architectural Control Committee.

The interesting thing about this 'rule' is it actually does not include boats. From what I've found online, usually this type of article also restricts boats - but this article skips boats (A good thing?)

The BoD/HOA is asking that I store my trailer in my garage - and while I can - this means that I'd need to start parking my personal vehicle in the driveway. I like to keep things hidden and out of site, but this trailer is gonna shift things around.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

+1
    I assume you saw this rule before you bought or rented there, right?
    The problem is, if they allow you to break the rules, then the next guy will want to store two trailers, plus his '92 Camaro project car, plus his RV on his property, and then he will use you as his excuse.

It's easy to blame the HOA for picking on you, but you have to realize that at some point, the other homeowners will bring a lawsuit against your Board or developer because they are required by law to uphold and enforce the documents. So the HOA is simply doing what they are required to do, and fighting the HOA over something like this is usually not a good idea.

A nice tight podocarpus hedge would help hide it some more, but at this point it sounds like the 'cat's out of the bag' - you need to follow the rules you agreed to; either put it in the garage, store it off-site for a small fee, or move and get a property where you can do whatever you want with your trailer.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    trailer lifted to ceiling in garage
    This will be cheaper in the long run vs lawyers and the HOA that will just change the wording after you wast a bunch of cash on lawyers.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I had similar problems at my old house so I moved Some HOA's are not bad but others are terrible. Mine use to fine residents because their garbage cans where out in the driveway at 4 pm on garbage day lol

Have you thought about building a shed? I would assume your HOA would allow that.... just build it with a big front door

+1
    Some HOA's wont even allow sheds if they can be seen from over the wall.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    HOA = someone else telling you what you can & can't do.

fuk'em & feed 'em fish-heads.

I'd move if I were you. Is the 'community' really THAT bitchen'??

+1
    It all depends on the rules and your knowledge of the rules before you move in. I live in a HOA and they provide a storage area for trailers.

Hmmm I really like the trailer/lift idea. Sounds like a couple trips to Northern Tool are in-order. A 12' Comfab trailer must not weight in more than ~200lb. I can probably lift it one corner at a time without a complex winch and cables.

Thank you

+1
    when i bought my house they really didnt say much about the hoa when i was signing the big stack of papers. they are a complete racket a non profit group, then a management company, oh and a team of lawyers go figure. i just dont see how a group like this can operate and foreclose on peoples homes in the usa land of free home of the brave. these guys are the scum of the earth im sure there are some that do a good job and mean well but the majority are a racket just trying to make money. i am in litigation with mine at the moment they seem to think they can make shit up with no proof no evidence and expect you to pay. people that lay down and do nothing cause these scum to develop into what they are look at the government lol.

+1
    Here in Florida you almost have to have a good HOA and management company, or your neighborhood turns to crap in a few years. The thing I don't understand is, why would people move in there if they didn't like these rules? Some folks bitch about the HOA's rules, then when their neighbor two doors down decides to paint his house purple or let all his grass die and the weeds get 24" tall; all of the sudden they start screaming at the HOA to fix it because their property values start taking a hit. Personally, I like the idea of having some protection against people who have no pride of ownership when my investment is on the line.

Thread Information