Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

F12X cavitation problem.

Just joined the forum and this is my first post. I bought a 2005 F12X with 5 hours. The ski had been used in salt water and then put on the trailer where it sat for 7 years. I finally got my problems all fixed when I replaced the exhaust manifold that was leaking (quite the job). Now that everything is fine I'm getting cavitation when hitting the throttle when going WOT from a stand still. I know Honda's are known for this but how much is normal? We had to grind the wear ring slightly since it swelled a little due to the salt water....didn't know if this is my problem. I just bought a parts ski with a good pump and thought I'd switch them to see if I get an improvement. Any thoughts? CC

+1
    My 2002 aquatrax with the solas impeller has a better holeshot compared to my stock impeller on my 2005. You will feel the difference. In addition you grinded the stator which may have added to your problem. Honestly the best solution is a new stator and a solas concord impeller (pitch 17/29).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCrew View Post
    My 2002 aquatrax with the solas impeller has a better holeshot compared to my stock impeller on my 2005. You will feel the difference. In addition you grinded the stator which may have added to your problem. Honestly the best solution is a new stator and a solas concord impeller (pitch 17/29).
    did you loose any top speed on the conversion to solas? I installed a solas on my seadoo and lost 5 mph and my hole shot went to pot. I put the stock back on and it ran great. problems solved.

Cavitation: I only get a little from a dead stop once I am up (1 sec) its gone and smooth as butter.

Your issues are likely caused by un-even clearance around your wear-ring and impeller. I would remove, remove oxidation on pump housing, and install new wear ring. Since you ground it I think its likely toast.

let us know how you sort out. (Pics???)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticCrew View Post
    did you loose any top speed on the conversion to solas? I installed a solas on my seadoo and lost 5 mph and my hole shot went to pot. I put the stock back on and it ran great. problems solved.

Cavitation: I only get a little from a dead stop once I am up (1 sec) its gone and smooth as butter.

Your issues are likely caused by un-even clearance around your wear-ring and impeller. I would remove, remove oxidation on pump housing, and install new wear ring. Since you ground it I think its likely toast.

let us know how you sort out. (Pics???)
    I lost 1 mph on the top end. However I was more interested in the holeshot and that is where I saw the improvement with the solas.

I've heard of a couple folks removing the liner in the pump but for the most part replacing the stator is a better option. There isn't an OEM option for just the liner/wear ring.

I agree that the uneven clearance is probably the issue along with possible impeller chips or bent blades.

5. +1 by:

the wear ring is probly tosted and not the same clearance all around

I have new pump housing in stock along with oem rebuild kits.
    $185 water stator
    $55 bearing and seal kit
    Call brian 813 786 4418

+1
    I would get the whole new stator if you have oxidation on the pump housing.

+1
    Thanks for the input! I bought a whole ski from a Honda dealership in Wisconsin last week to part out...so I'll pull the pump and try to see if that fixes my problem. My clearance on pump now looks good but maybe just a little over will be the cause of the cavitation. Just 20 more posts and another week and I can list my parts here at the forum. CC

10. +1 by:

+1
    what kind of ski did you buy to part out? I am looking for a r12x hood black if you have one.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    A bit back a fella on here had his ring area of his pump powder coated to build-up for correct spec/tolerance. I know that won't work for some issues but something to keep in mind. He said it did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information