Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

slt 750 first ski! newbie!

Hi guys. Just purchased a 95 slt750. Bike has 60 hours. Never been on water yet with me. Engine smokes well, alot to me, how much is normal? Starts fast and does not miss. Compression is 120-126 on all cylinders. I am an auto mechanic but never wrenched on anything other than motorcycles. This is my first ski but i own a bowrider so not new to water. How fast is this thing? Any info please! i have had dirt bikes that do not smoke this much. i have dry started without water because my local dealer said it would not hurt as long as not idled that long. these things look very simple are they?

+1
    Hi Chevelle WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

The 750 is a pretty good machine but you should check with a Polaris dealer and see if some important updates were ever performed on the ski. If they have not been done, I'd try to get them done before it hit the water.
    All they need is your VIN number and they can verify the updates.
    I'd certainly run the boat on the trailer (while strapped down) at the ramp and check for leaks before going for a ride. Just make sure the pump is in the water enough to draw water into the system.
    Perform a plug chop, the fuel pump on that particular model is a VERY weak spot and runs a cylinder destructivly lean. You'll probably need an updated pump, check out the tech section for some tips.
    How about some photo's of your ride??

Dude my ride is stock. I only give $850 at a salvage auction. Bike is 1 owner. no damage. only damage is trailor which i have another. I am a custom airbrusher so it will not be stock long. I was thing about going to premix and a new pump. any suggestions?

+1
    Two options on the pump.
    There is a kit designed to replace the stock unit, they are on e-bay all the time. You can make your own kit as well. You're basically going to have a triple outlet pump so that all carbs get fuel equally as opposed to runnning the fuel from carb to carb and running out of fuel to the last carb when the pump gets weak.
    The other is to replace it with the newer stronger pump they used on the newer models.
    Lots of detailed information in the tech section, check it out, good stuff on the Fuji engine.

Sorry but i re checked compression. number1 cylinder is down to 35psi. how hard are the jugs to hone? just like a dirtbike? pistons same way? i guess i need a manual! damn thing runs like a top with no miss though just smokes bad.

They usaly smoke badly until you get them on the water for a few minutes. The oil lines leak while it sits and the crank case gets the excess oil. Then when you start it, it smokes really badly. The only way I have seen these clear up is to get it on the water with a load on it and run it. Did you try squirting some oil down the cyclinder to see if the compression comes up? Are you using a screw on type of compression tester with a bleed valve? Because with 35 psi of compression that cyclinder will NOT fire. Remember this is a two stroke engine. Oh yea, Welcome to the Green Hulk, the best place to be!!!! Remember that there is no stupid questions, and we all are willing to help.

R

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8436&rd=1&rd=1

Here's a new pump, Don't wait to long!!

this is like the damn chevelle site, too eager to help ! thanks guys. my other question is how hard to replace rings or piston?

also what kind of mods can i do for more power?

If you know your way around a car & cycle, your already there, with
    alot less room to work depending on how much work your ski needs you may want to pull the engine out for easier access, as far as mods go,
    how deep are your pockets and how much time do you have.
    Check out some of the projects and performance posts, its amazing what these guys do!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information