1996 SL 780 Mint?

I have just acquired a 1996 SL 780 in mint condition. The previous owner (a guy I used to work for) told me to take it and get it running and we would talk about the price. The ski was serviced by Polaris dealership before it was stored many years ago. I drained old gas and replaced with new and got it to crank. The float was gas logged so FUEL warning came on and it would not run over 4200 rpms. I have a float on the way that may be here today. I have checked gas lines bushings etc and all look good. My question is if it runs good should I be concerned about the carbs and running lean? How can I tell if it is running lean? I don't want to damage the engine. This machine looks brand new. Also, how much should I offer him? NADA only says $300 avg retail. Comes with trailer. Thanks

+1
    If it's been sitting that long you should rebuild the carbs. You also need to go through the whole machine. Depending on the area I would say it's worth between 800.00-1200.00...may be more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    If it's been sitting that long you should rebuild the carbs. You also need to go through the whole machine. Depending on the area I would say it's worth between 800.00-1200.00...may be more.
    Must, in my opinion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dwbarg View Post
    I have just acquired a 1996 SL 780 in mint condition. The previous owner (a guy I used to work for) told me to take it and get it running and we would talk about the price. The ski was serviced by Polaris dealership before it was stored many years ago. I drained old gas and replaced with new and got it to crank. The float was gas logged so FUEL warning came on and it would not run over 4200 rpms. I have a float on the way that may be here today. I have checked gas lines bushings etc and all look good. My question is if it runs good should I be concerned about the carbs and running lean? How can I tell if it is running lean? I don't want to damage the engine. This machine looks brand new. Also, how much should I offer him? NADA only says $300 avg retail. Comes with trailer. Thanks
    Welcome to the Hulk!! Read up on some good info here

Thanks for all the replies. I have ordered the carb kits. I think it will be good insurance to rebuild them and replace fuel lines. I wish I knew how many hrs were on the ski, but the hour meter reset to 0. I know it was prob less than 20 hrs. I rebuilt the carbs on my old freebee Kawasaki 750. I have read all the good info that is posted about the Polaris skis. I really didn't want to pay him much for the ski. I am going to have $250 in it before it's mine. But if I don't buy it he will give me my money for the repairs.

Thanks for all the replies. I have the carb kits on the way. Too much liability not to redo them and the gas lines. BlueFish..I have read those and they are a great resource!

Thread Information