Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

STX15F wont start after towing, got the new temp sensor, now wont start at all.

As mentioned in similar previous posts, our 2006 STX15F doesnt want to fire off after towing or even after a regular ride. I got the recommended water temp sensor 21176-0741 installed today and the ski wouldnt even fire off of it when cold, plus I got a fuel injection warning, and the TEMP flasher on the dash. I put the old one back on and it fired right up, reinstalled the new one and no fire, flasher, etc again. Is this not a plug and play replacement? Do I need to have the computer flashed or something to get the new sensor to work? I did not replace the oil temp sensor, just the water temp one.
    Last edited by Jammer864; 08-08-2013 at 11:13 PM.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    You need to put oil or dielectric grease or white lithium grease in the cavity that the sensors thread into.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    You need to put oil or dielectric grease or white lithium grease in the cavity that the sensors thread into.

Sean
    I did that when I installed it each time.

+1
    Check the resistance of the new sensor and make sure that its fully plugged in. You may have some wiring damage somewhere. If its reading hot when cold it points to a bad sensor or wiring problem.

Check the resistance against the manual values, I can post the page if need be.
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Check the resistance of the new sensor and make sure that its fully plugged in. You may have some wiring damage somewhere. If its reading hot when cold it points to a bad sensor or wiring problem.

Check the resistance against the manual values, I can post the page if need be.
    Sean
    Sean, I have the manual for our 06 but not the manual that would cover the newer sensor. Please post the value for me and I will check it against the new one.
    I am out of town now until Friday night and will post results of the ohms of the new one when I can check it Saturday morning. Thanks for the help.

+1
    Just check it against the 06 values, it will at least give you an idea of if its good. Ill try and get ahold of the 2011 model manual this week.

Sean

UPDATE: I checked the resistance of the new sensor. Just as the water in the test pan started boiling I read 1.30 ohms on the 20K scale of my LG multimeter. Service manual number for my 06 STX15F says at 212 degrees I should get approx 13.2 K ohms for the 06 sensor. Im thinking the scales arent right but the number looks in the ball park. Sensor ohms rose and fell with hotter and cooler water. Sensor read about 1900 ohms at water temp just hot enough to not burn me when I put my finger in it. At room temp or ice water, as the ohms rose past about 1950, I lost the reading, similar to no continuity. So at 212 degrees with the new sensor, Im getting 1300 ohms and as it cools it rises to 1950, then no reading. Either the manual is wrong when they published 13.2K ohms or the sensor is only 1/10th accurate?

I also noted in your sticky the statement: If you get the TEMP alarm to put more grease or oil in the cavity. I get the heat alarm as soon as I try to start the cold engine and the cavity is packed with grease. As mentioned above the ski doesnt even start (fire off) with the new sensor installed.

Maybe for the new sensor to work, I have to replace both of them (the water temp and the oil temp) with the new, same part number? Has anyone replaced just the water temp OR the oil temp sensor and had it work?
    Last edited by Jammer864; 08-09-2013 at 12:10 AM.

+1
    It would be worth a shot.

Sean

Follow up: After re-installing the original sensor so we could use the ski (rather than buy another newer sensor for the oil temp without really knowing if that would fix it) we have not had the problem re-appear. Maybe re-packing the water temp sensor void with grease helped out? Who knows but Im not just gonna throw parts at it hoping something fixes it.

It looks to me like the new style sensor p/n 21176-0741 is not a plug and play replacement for the original 2006 sensor, at least when only one temp sensor is replaced. Does that mean if both the oil and water temp sensors are replaced it will fire up? Maybe, but until someone actually replaces just one, and it doesnt fire, then replaces the other also, and it fires up, then we will know for sure.

For now, ours is back to running fine with the orignal sensor and a re-packed sensor cavity.

+1
    Hopefully the meangreenman will chime in on this one since he gave us the new sensor part number, along with mentioning replacing 'both' water and oil temp when it was done. I have a feeling he knows the answer to this riddle.
    I will PM him with a reference to this thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information