Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arrow 1999 Genesis, no start, fuel pump does not run when cranking

I have a 99 genesis. I grounded the brown wire with a test light. Aligator clip on the block and poked the brown wire. The light came on but no pump running and this is a new pump I just installed!
    I took out the old pump before I read this sticky. I tried the old pump on a battery and nothing.

Any suggestions?

+1
    try grounding without the test light

Ok....did that and the pump works.

When I hit the starter....w/ the lanyard hooked in.... no pump? Does this mean its not grounding some where? Is there a fuse?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Polaris Ficht EMM engine start sequence

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEH2O View Post
    Ok....did that and the pump works.

When I hit the starter....w/ the lanyard hooked in.... no pump? Does this mean its not grounding some where? Is there a fuse?
    • Start button engages starter motor, which cranks the engine.
    • Flywheel rotation generates AC voltage from the stator, which the EMM 'power section' converts to DC voltage on the '45 volt' White/Red wires, which in turn powers the rest of the EMM and signals EMM to 'wake up'.
    • EMM sees crank signals from CPS sensor and begins sending RPM info to MFI display, which in turn also 'wakes up'. If MFI was actually sleeping then the speedo needle does a full sweep when it wakes up.
    • EMM monitors TPS and other sensors for within-bounds signals and conditions.
    • EMM activates fuel pump by grounding Brown wire. Fuel pump is powered via a fuse or circuit breaker.
    • EMM prepares to fire fuel injectors and spark plugs, and then actually start the engine.

Notes: Fuel injectors require more than 20 volts on White/Red wires or injectors will not actually deliver fuel.
    White/Red wire power flows through a loop-back diagnostic connector, which must be connected or EMM cannot power up.
    Last edited by K447; 07-24-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Polaris Ficht EMM engine start sequence

So my pump works when brown wire is grounded, but doesnt when pushing the starter?
    Can I get a sequence of what to check next and so on?

Just so you know....last weekend everything was fine....came home, flushed it out, put it away.....took out this weekend....now this problem all of a sudden.

Man, I thought I had it fixed ! When pushing the starter, the red light was blinking and saying "low oil". I didnt notice cuz the oil tank w/ the seat off looked about half full. Anyway, I thought maybe thats why no working fuel pump.....(motor sensing low oil would not let pump work) Dammit, wasnt it?!....unless there is some sort of reset?

So, in your start-up sequence...would a bad CPS (assuming that means Crank Position Sensor) cause my problem? Is there a means to test the cps?

And where is this fuel pump fuse or circuit breaker you speak of?

Thanks
    sorry i have so many questions

I guess everyone gave up on me?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Um, why do you think that?

I have been mostly offline since Thursday due to weak and intermittent Internet connection.

With lanyard in place, let the machine sit for more than five minutes. Do not press any buttons.
    Then press and hold Start button for a few seconds. Watch the MFI display.
    Does the speedometer needle go full sweep, or does it just sit there, as if you had not pressed Start at all?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Um, why do you think that?

I have been mostly offline since Thursday due to weak and intermittent Internet connection.

With lanyard in place, let the machine sit for more than five minutes. Do not press any buttons.
    Then press and hold Start button for a few seconds. Watch the MFI display.
    Does the speedometer needle go full sweep, or does it just sit there, as if you had not pressed Start at all?
    Ok...hang on...brb

Yeah, it does a full sweep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information