200+hrs on the VXS- Year 3 owners report

I should have posted this a little bit ago when we broke the 200 barrier.

Report: Nothing really. No breakdowns, repairs or surprises. GPS speed this past weekend, 70.4 with a half tank of fuel. Still no issues other than the usual riding style correctable bounce.

Repairs: Yamaha just replaced my multifunction gauge under warranty. It was functioning but they did it to insure that it wasn't why my fuel gauge was acting up. They also changed the fuel sender in the tank. Fuel level is now accurately represented. No issues with the service, no hassles, no charge.

Maintenance: 5 oil changes since new. That's it.

General care: My ski has never been flushed or fogged after use, except when it travels to the ocean. It goes to the dealership for winterization and an oil change prior to winter storage, and that is it. The $100 or so is worth it for the time savings, and the dealership "inspects" everything, more for warranty purposes than anything else.

Its first year it sat in the water all season beside my boat while I waited for the marina to install me a lift. Last year I launched it in May, kept it on it's lift by the boat, and didn't put it on the trailer till October for storage . This year I pulled it out once and put on the trailer for a few days to get the fuel gauge working correctly. Other than that it lives on a lift without any other care.

Summary: very happy with this ski. It as been trouble free and is a blast to ride. Total, including winteriization, and oil changes I have 300-400 dollars spent in 3 years, all maintenance that could be self done to save money. It still runs with fastest stock skis on the water, and still is fun to play with.

what was the problem with your fuel gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    what was the problem with your fuel gauge?

It was inaccurate. It would read full and then almost immediately fall to empty, it was never accurate in the mid portion. They were not sure if it was the sender, or the gauge, so both wound up being replaced under warranty, and it functions fine now. I appreciate Yamaha just going ahead and taking care of it as I don't like to have to trailer it to the dealer, and it is used almost daily.

Very pleased overall with the machine, and Yamaha's customer service.

+1
    Another 200 hr satisfied Yamaha owner;
    good report, thanks Duke.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection

+1
    Very nice. You didn't do any impeller changes or anything during the 200 hours to get to 70.4?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Im in the 200+ hour club too....245 to be exact.....no problems that werent self induced....sucked a rock up in FLA...replaced impeller duct and impeller......6 oil changes and changed plugs at 100 hours just because, still on second set of plugs, had valve clearances checked at 100 and 200 hrs, all well with in specs....did the nozzle recall my self.... R&D Air intake and R&D Free Flow Exhaust are the only mods 68 mph......One of the best skis I have ever owned, with a Kawi 15f coming in second.....I have had 20+ skis

Only real improvement Yamaha could make to the VXs/r would be factory trim....

+1
    good info....thanks....60 hours on my 2013 VXR...flawless ski

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Im in the 200+ hour club too....245 to be exact.....no problems that werent self induced....sucked a rock up in FLA...replaced impeller duct and impeller......6 oil changes and changed plugs at 100 hours just because, still on second set of plugs, had valve clearances checked at 100 and 200 hrs, all well with in specs....did the nozzle recall my self.... R&D Air intake and R&D Free Flow Exhaust are the only mods 68 mph......One of the best skis I have ever owned, with a Kawi 15f coming in second.....I have had 20+ skis

Only real improvement Yamaha could make to the VXs/r would be factory trim....

Yoyama and Aqua, nice, you make me want to ride more.

I forgot about the nozzle recall, that was done as well. No impeller tweaks were needed. Once it hit 25-30 hrs it as been able to break 70 pretty much every day it is calm enough for a speed run. It is not an easy craft to hold steady for true high speed runs as it does tend to bounce a bit unless you can keep it under control. I ride with a GPS/chart plotter on at all times and can log my speeds and distances covered each run.

Thread Information