Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

LR-505 Regulator 01 Virage 700

I fear its going bad every once in awhile it will quit and won't restart until I hold the bilge button down then once running its fine. Is there another regulator I can use until I get a new one and if so how do I wire it? I don't care if the start button doesn't also kill it. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can try powering the CDI directly, rather than through the LR module.

Find the Red/Purple wire that goes directly into the CDI. I expect you will find it currently connected to the Orange terminals.

Move that Red/Purple CDI wire, and only that CDI wire, to be with the other Red/Purple terminals. Do not connect it to the fused Red/Purple terminal which is for the MFI display only.

See if the engine now starts, stops and restarts reliably. If yes, you can leave it this way.

Note that the electric bilge pump is powered from the same Orange terminals, so your bilge pump may also not be running reliably.

If you find the engine will not reliably restart after shutting down, then there is another method possible using a second, more basic LR module.

+1
    Thank you that is very helpful! What is the simpler module I can use and how do I hook it up? I am taking it on vacation in a few days and it only does it once in awhile so I'd like to be prepared in case it totally fails. Thanks again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mccann316 View Post
    ... What is the simpler module I can use and how do I hook it up?

I am taking it on vacation in a few days and it only does it once in awhile so I'd like to be prepared in case it totally fails...
    If it totally fails then you will lose the function of the Start/Stop button entirely.

If it is important to you that the machine be reliable, then replace the entire module with the correct new one. That is what I recommend.

Inserting a second LR module can restore the Orange accessory power and/or the battery charging function, but not the Start/Stop functionality, if that aspect fails.

+1
    My problem is I leave on Friday and won't be able to get a reasonably priced one here before then. It's crazy that people have them listed for $200 new and $100 used when you can buy a new one at partspitstop.com for $104 and change

+1
    Telephone John Zigler and see if he can find a way to get you a new one quickly.

+1
    I noticed last night my tach works intermittently and jumps around when it is working. I switched mfi's and it did the same thing is this another lr505 symptom?

+1
    I noticed last night my tach works intermittently and jumps around when it is working. I switched mfi's and it did the same thing is this another lr505 symptom?
    Could be, or it could indicate some other electrical fault, like a bad ground connection somewhere.

+1
    I found a new regulator that will supposedly be here by Friday so we will see what happens.

+1
    I found a new regulator that will supposedly be here by Friday so we will see what happens.
    While you are waiting for it, you might want to go over the battery cables and visually inspect everything you can.

Remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and the engine ground connection. Look for signs of corrosion, loose ends, etc. You want clean metal to metal contact at the engine, for example.

Also inspect the wiring and connections. Look for wires that are pinched, rubbing or worn, loose or corroded connections, etc.

Unplug connectors and inspect for water, corrosion, broken pins...

Make sure the wire looms are well supported and not able to flop or flex excessively with engine vibration or from riding on rough water. In some cases you may want to reroute the wiring to keep it better supported or out of the way.

The engine does move significantly on its rubber mounts so there must be plenty flex where wires run to the actual engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information