Gp1200 dying on water, need help please

I took my gp1200 with 55 hours out yesterday, and not even 2 min into riding it dies. So i checked the engine bay and saw one oil line had come off. So i got some zip ties, and tied it back up, started fine, and riding on calm water it was just fine, but first wake i hit, it died, i went to start it up and the battery acted like it was dead, barely turned over. The strange thing is when ski sat for 10 min, the battery charged up enough to get the ski started again and it ran perfect for 1 min until i hit a wake again, and it died right away and same issue...

Has anyone had something similar happen, or can anyone give me any clues as to what it could be?

"the battery charged up enough to get the ski started again "... are you sure that was the issue, or that the engine cooled down enough to restart it? Usually when an oil line comes off, the piston and cylinder heat up and causes enough drag to stall the engine. It won't crank until it cools a bit.

curious.. which oil line came off?? Did you check the others as well?

Im not trying to hijack your thread but amazing enough the same thing happened to me on saturday. We were riding for about 2-3 hours (40 miles) and my 01 GP1200r just died. We were doing about 25-30MPH at the time and it died. It acted like the battery was dead (no power) then it would crank up. run for about a min and die. No warning lights. did it a few times and towed it in. I got it home started it on water and it was running a little rough. Is there an easy way to check the oil lines without removing the exhast system to get to the carbs? what else could it be a PV?

Quote Originally Posted by lynchmob View Post
    Im not trying to hijack your thread but amazing enough the same thing happened to me on saturday. We were riding for about 2-3 hours (40 miles) and my 01 GP1200r just died. We were doing about 25-30MPH at the time and it died. It acted like the battery was dead (no power) then it would crank up. run for about a min and die. No warning lights. did it a few times and towed it in. I got it home started it on water and it was running a little rough. Is there an easy way to check the oil lines without removing the exhast system to get to the carbs? what else could it be a PV?
    Probably not a PV. If they weren't working you'd either get no top end or no low end but it would be consistent. If it broke you'd have bigger problems. Sounds like heat. Did you get a chance to look at the plugs when it was happening?

You can look for oil in the hull, but you might not be able to see it if the hull is dirty or if it just occurred. You can reach around in the carb area to see if thingsa are getting oily, but you'd have to know what it was like before in order to really tell. If you don't know how the oil hoses are attached, it would be worth it to pull the exhaust and find out, and put new clamps or tie-wraps on them so you know they are good to go.

It was the top oil line on the oil pump, or the one that goes to the cylinder nearest to the front of jet ski. I am sure it was the battery because when i went to start it the gauges were barely visible and it would stop revving and i would have to retype the code in (its a 98 gp1200 btw). When out of the water and i start the ski, i unhook the positive terminal from the battery and the ski keeps running. I am at a loss as to what my issue could be. Also the oil line that came off, i had to put two zip ties and tighten with pliers because it would not stay on when the engine is on. Could the oil line be clogged?

+1
    Soulraver and lynchmob, both of you need to do or have done a compression test on each cylinder. Lack of lubrication is the kiss of death for a two stroke.

Make sure that the compression gauge is of high quality, and expect to see about 115 to 120 per cylinder. Each cylinders compression should be very close to the other two cylinders (within 10 psig).

You need to have a plan as to how to keep those oil lines on or go premix.

I will do a compression check later, i found on issue, the oil line that was popping off was clogged at the intake, i took everything apart and cleaned it, put fresh oil in the tank and tested it and now everything seems to be flowing well. The ski started out of water and seems to run fine, hopefully the lack of oil will not have ruined the one cylinder. I did add about 1/8 qt of 2stroke per tank of gas as a little extra precaution when i saw the oil line was coming off i hope that added an extra barrier. Will test on water and let you guys know

1/8 a quart per tank is nothing. For 40:1, you need 1qt per 10 gallons of fuel, or about 1.3q on a completely empty tank. Replace your oil lines, or - go ahead and get a block off plate and convert your skis to high quality premixing oil. Its not that bad carrying ~2 quarts with you anytime you want a fill;really.

+1
    The "seemed like a dead battery...it start for a few minutes...and cranked over/started ok" is the classic piston seizure description. The piston heats up, expands, and sticks to the cylinder. then it cools down, shrinks, and unsticks.
    You definitely need to do a compression test.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ..........You definitely need to do a compression test.
    When you loose an oil line, doing a compresson test is a no brainer. The real question at this point is how much damage has been done.

It did not die on you for nothing, and you continueing to run it without oil did not help either. Two strokes do not respond well to lack of lubrication.

You asked for our help in the title of this post. This IS our best advice.

Thread Information