Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

new ski. 1996 xp 800. anything i should know about these?

we just picked up a new ski from our neighbor up the street. he had it out front for a few days and after having problems with both our waverunners. blown motor on one other is fine now, we decided to pick it up. got it for a pretty cheap since his wife is pregnant and she wants a boat. brought it up to the lake this weekend and it hung with my buddies newer yamahas. which is only about 5 years old. he blew me away in the chop tho. light ski. and besides a dead battery at first and some bogging around startup and low throttle it ran pretty well. anything i should know about this ski? also when i first got it it was sun faded on the hood hatch really badly as you can see in one pic. i tried the mayo trick and it looks amazing now in the other picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp 800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	309489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp800.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	309488

+1
    Mayo trick ?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ari543 View Post
    we just picked up a new ski from our neighbor up the street. he had it out front for a few days and after having problems with both our waverunners. blown motor on one other is fine now, we decided to pick it up. got it for a pretty cheap since his wife is pregnant and she wants a boat. brought it up to the lake this weekend and it hung with my buddies newer yamahas. which is only about 5 years old. he blew me away in the chop tho. light ski. and besides a dead battery at first and some bogging around startup and low throttle it ran pretty well. anything i should know about this ski? also when i first got it it was sun faded on the hood hatch really badly as you can see in one pic. i tried the mayo trick and it looks amazing now in the other picture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp 800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	309489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp800.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	309488
    There is a good list of things to go over before I would even take that ski out on the water.
    1. snatch the carbs off that engine and rebuild regardless.
    2. change out all the fuel lines. if they are gray its manditory as they degrade, plug the carbs and blow the engine.
    3. pull the rave valves and clean...do a compression test while you are at it on both cylinders
    4. gas tank recall if it hasnt been done.
    5. make sure that the fuel gauge is working. if not pull the fuel baffle and read the sticky in the 2 stroke section on how to repair or replace.
    6. clean the fuel selector valve and replace o ring
    7. replace the carbon seal on the drive shaft. if it hasnt been done it probably needs to be as it leaks when engine is running
    8. pull the steering nozzle and venturi off. pull the pump cone and repace the grease with gear lube as i bet its never been done since new.
    9. check the wear ring clearance and prop for damage.
    10. does the trim work? if not test the motor and if it will turn both ways its the housing that its in.
    11. inspect the exhaust pipe for pin hole leakes and discoloration on the pipe. run on the hose on the trailer to see if there are any leaks in the water jacketing
    12. replace that back plastic mat with hydroturf...you will thank me later
    13. you cant ride this ski sitting down it WILL break you. that seat is for no wake zones. stand up with one foot back before the rear piece of deck plastic and the other foot slightly ahead on the other side. your legs are the suspension...use them. this ski rides on top of the water. prepare to be airborne most of the time.(hence my handle)
    14. RIDE THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!! this ski is either idle or WOT.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetman150 View Post
    Mayo trick ?
    yea id like to know that too...usually its a heat gun

well it has a newer rebuild on it. he said he went through everything. i forgot exactly how many hours were on it but it was low. there are new fuel lines in it. no grey here. tell me more about the tank? was there a recall? if so what for? my tank hasn't leaked. the guages work. no trim on it. i have half the housing separate. no internals or cover. the guy said he never had trim in it. and neither did the guy before him. its blocked off with a rubber screw plug thing. i did get some water in it but im not sure from where. could it be the carbon seal? im not 100% sure on where that is but i have an idea. i will grease the cone and should i order the spring cone thing i have seen online? it gets rid of the rattle at idle. and where is the fuel selector valve? like how to i get to it. im not looking at the ski now so. and the exaust looks good. i will check it but since everything was gone through i suspect its fine.

i will eventually do the mats. i know hydroturf because out waverunner 3 has a set on it and theyre great.

but i did have it out and as your said its stop or go. its a crazy light machine and it will throw itself in the air no problem. im already in love with it. and yes my legs are also telling me its a stand up ski haha. i usually stand but riding all day along side a pontoon boat i couldn't 100% of the time.

i know where the fuel selector knob is but idk how to get to the valve. i will clean the rave valves as its fairly simple. ive done it on our sleds before. the guy we bought it from said the ski sat in the back of a semi trailer for maybe 6 years and the guy before him got it running again and he had all the stuff done, rebuild ect..

but the mayo trick. haha it sounds odd but just rub mayonnaise with a paper towel on the faded plastic area. don't need much to bring it back for lighter colors. i did my whole hood and it looks almost brand new. i tried the gunwale rub rail corners which are darker and it helped a little although i didnt try much. it might work with more mayo haha. im not sure how long it lasts but it looks good. and dont worry the ham sandwich smell its temporary

+1
    Fuel selector valve... Take the little rubber plug out of the knob, take the screw out behind that plug, there is a small
    Washer too. Pull the knob straight out. I did this a few days ago to clean my valve and the knob was stuck pretty tightly due to corrosion on the stem it slides onto. I twisted it hard and it came off but split the part around the hole. I put a little zip tie around the inside and closed the crack up and it fits snug again. Just make sure you pull straight out if its stuck. After te knobs off there us a large plastic nut. I didnt have a socket that big and couldnt get an adjustable wrench ob it so i used a flat screw driver and hammer to loosen the nut. After that it'll come out on the inside of ski. There is a rubber washer inside to seal it so dont lose that. The outside housing just comes right off. To disassemble the valve for cleaning just remove the little philips head screw and the part that turns will come roght out. Thanks for the mayo trick!!! Bout to go try it. Mine is faded very badly!!

+1
    Crap i dont have any mayo, wonder if miracle whip will work...

no problem. and i dont know. you can try haha let me know how it comes out.

+1
    Tried it, mine is almost white with a mildew look, grayish spots. I scrubbed and alot of yellow came through, had to use my finger nail through the paper towel. It did help a good bit! Gonna take alot of elbow grease on mine though. What is the heat gun trick airbornexp?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information