Rookiepwc

1999 Yamaha 1200xl ltd stator replacement

I have no spark on my waverunner. I checked the electronic box and the coils seem to have continuity. The power coming into the cdi seems low from the generator/stator.

I am trying to get to the stator to check the stator. I have removed the exhaust and the air box. Do I need to remove the oil pump that is attached to the generator housing or can I just remove the housing and leave the oil pump attached.

If anyone has replaced the stator on this model any help would be appreciated.

Also is a bad stator a possible cause of no spark?

Thanks

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you don.t need to remove the stator to check it. Get a service manual for more info.

welcome to the hulk.

Your stator is the generator to charge your battery, it has nothing to do with the spark. I would NOT just start pulling parts Off your ski until you know what your problem is first. You need to look up your ignition system and look for a bad or broken wire. Get a test light and go through every plug. For the time being, put back whatever you've already taken apart on the stator

Rookiepwc
    I am confused I have read other people have had the no spark issue and replacing the stator solved it

+1
    its unfortunate but'lots of folks use terms loosely.you might have a bad trigger coil, but on your pwc, it.s located in the stator cover.

you can throw parts and time at it, or take my advice and know how to actually repair it.

get a manual and measure the trigger coil continity.

its most unfortunate, but there is far more poor quality info on the net then good stuff.

I do this for a living. Ignition repairs require a good working knowledge of general electrical principals AND specifics on the pwc you are fixin. Get a manual or get out your wallet. Guessing has a high and expensive failure rate

people spend big bucks trying to fix this kind of thing. If you to shortcut it, you'd have a better success rate removing a bullet from somebodies leg.

+1
    the trigger coil is the least expensive suspect. You need to confirm it's resistance and assure it is not grounded.

these ignitions are simple to troubleshoot. Follow the manual.

the downside here(I checked) is the trigger is not sold seperate so you may be spending a bit of money on this one. Later model1200.s have three triggers and available as a complete unit.

please don't pm me about this issue. Others will benefit from what unfolds here. Check my profile message regarding pm's and calling the shop.

PM me your email and I'll send you a pdf of the XL1200Ltd manual, and also the parts list that shows how all the assemblies are put together. As Nmpeter says, keep us informed of progress so others may refer to these threads when they have problems. Cheers. Dave

Let me if you need any parts...I have a complete xl1200 that I am parting...all electrical is good.

Rookiepwc
    I have another problem now. I accidentally adjusted the troll adjustment, located next to the oil air drain. I was trying to bleed the oil. When I start my waverrunner it is really loud. Maybe this is normal. I am new to the waverunner world. Also it revved high when I started it and I had to kill it.

Could the troll adjustment cause it to rev so high? Or is the adjustment on the troll limited?

Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    PM me your email and I'll send you a pdf of the XL1200Ltd manual, and also the parts list that shows how all the assemblies are put together. As Nmpeter says, keep us informed of progress so others may refer to these threads when they have problems. Cheers. Dave

Is it still possible to get a manual for a 1999 1200XL Limited Ski?

Thread Information