Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

First Time Jet Ski Buyer--Buying 2013 Ultra LX this weekend!

Hi everyone,

I live in San Diego and am going to be buying my first jet ski (2013 Kawasaki Ultra LX) this weekend at a nearby dealer (Temecula Motorsports). I already have credit (Kawasaki Credit Card with $15,000 available funds) so I am good to go. Very excited to pick this puppy up and get her launched on Mission Bay for the first time.

I have come up with a list of what I should try to get financed in with my new ski but I would appreciate any advice that all of you seasoned veterans can give me. I also am open to any advice/general tips for the model that I am getting.

Here's my list:
    -Trailer (duh!)
    -Life jackets
    -Inflatable Tube (for towing people behind)
    -Tow Rope
    -Vacu-Hold Cover
    -Bow Storage Bag
    -Small Anchor w/Rope (to assist with single person launching on the occasions that I am by myself)
    -Mooring Lines (for docking when out and about)
    -Coast Guard Kit?
    -First Aid Kit?
    -Kawasaki Good Times Protection plan?

Thanks!

Andrew

+1
    Protection plan is always a must. For the dock lines look into an air-head brand bungee dock line. Very easy to use and will not get tangled up or come untied on accident. I have the 4ft version.

Quote Originally Posted by STUNNA View Post
    Protection plan is always a must. For the dock lines look into an air-head brand bungee dock line. Very easy to use and will not get tangled up or come untied on accident. I have the 4ft version.
    Awesome...thanks for the advice Stunna!

Andrew

As for anchor, you will love this one. I have one for each ski and they hold great even in chop. Get the ones from Academy, the others (same anchors but reboxed) normally sell for $39 each.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...__?N=283850192

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    The Ultra LX is THE BEST all-around ski IMO. Congratulations.

1. Buy the GTPP from Kawasaki. DO NOT buy Western or other plans many dealers push. They are cheaper by a little and there is a reason.

2. You can service the ski yourself if you are competent. Just make sure and document everything. Do your own oil changes by getting an extractor from West Marine. I use Mobil 1 in my ski's. On a LX you only need change oil every 50 hours. I do mine every 50 as service manual calls for. Get some waterproof grease for cables and for re-packing your pump. Inspect the bearings (pump) about every 50 hours.

3. When you replace your plugs, make sure and use anti-seize on them and make sure and torque to spec.

4. Make sure and flush it good as soon as you get home. I use Dawn dish soap as a cleaner. I put about 3-4 oz's in the hose before I hook it up and turn it on. Start the motor, start the hose, let 'er run for 5-10 minutes just idling as you take care of other stuff. Turn off hose, turn off motor after giving it a few good blips. Do this again after a bit. (restart motor and blip throttle) You want to get ALL of the water out of the exhaust system you can. Even tilting up nose if you can is good. I usually put a large storage type container under the pump where water comes out and use this warm water to wash my wetsuit/boots/gloves/etc. There are no wash-outs at Mission or Shelter, one of the draw-backs to these 2 places, but no biggy. Make sure and hose the pump area and your trailer well.

5. Lightly spray the engine compartment with water and spray engine with Fluid Film or some type of lubricant/protectant. I like Fluid Film because it is lanolin based instead of petroleum so it is not as hard on plastic/rubber. Some folks like CRC56. Anything is better then nothing. Leave the seats off a day or 2.

6. Just get a bag anchor. If you really want something else do a search here. Alot of guys use some other type of anchor that is plastic and compact. Don't get something that'll beat the crap outta your ski.

7. If you plan to do alot of ocean riding you may want to get a VHF and a GPS. I have a Garmin 76CSX and works well. I did not buy any software for mine. It is really not needed. This comes in handy when you ride somewhere like the Coronado's and the fog rolls in. You never know. If you end up doing alot of offshore riding go to PWCOFFSHORE.COM and read thru the gear, get what you need.

8. There's lots more but I am sure others have good suggestions too. The best one I can give you is join the AWA. It is reasonable (46$ for 2 years) and then join the SoCal PWC Club. There are some folks that ride San Diego on there. In fact 2 just rode out of Shelter last weekend. This is a great group of folks and never, never, ride offshore alone if you can help it. If your in Mission or the SD Bay no problem. But for many of us the fun is getting out there. The AWA advocates for our rights as PWC owners and is the only requirement to admission to the SoCal Club. No other fee's due's just FUN!

Congrats again and hope to see you on the water sometime.

Banned User
    +1
    The only thing I would throw in with the finance is the warranty and the trailer. If you can pay cash for the accessories that would be better for you in the long run.

+1
    You don't want to max out your financing..
    Unless your not planning on making payments.
    The less financed the less you pay..
    And $100 in fuel for a good days ride.
    Also read up on maintaining your machine before buying it.
    If you don't maintain it and it breaks they are not going to warranty it.
    And from the sounds of your post you can learn a lot from the Hulk. Just use the search function.

Congrats on a beast of a ski...

+1
    Best sand anchor IMO is the Coopers anchor. Made of nylon so it won't damage your storage bucket, does not require any chain and ive had two skis tied to it in moderate/heavy winds and she held extremely well. Comes in blue or pink. Apparently there's a big demand for the pink anchors amongst the yamaha owners. Go figure

BTW a first aid kit is something I always carry whether it be in the car, boat or ski.

Thanks everyone for the great advice....this forum is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy71 View Post
    Best sand anchor IMO is the Coopers anchor. Made of nylon so it won't damage your storage bucket, does not require any chain and ive had two skis tied to it in moderate/heavy winds and she held extremely well. Comes in blue or pink. Apparently there's a big demand for the pink anchors amongst the yamaha owners. Go figure

BTW a first aid kit is something I always carry whether it be in the car, boat or ski.
    Jimmy71: The Cooper Anchor sounds great....does it come with a line or does that have to be bought separately?

Thanks,

Andrew

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information