Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 96XP problem!

  1. #1
    dlajoy1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93

    96XP problem!

    So I just took everything out for a nice clean (engine, head pipe, waterbox, EVERYTHING) seadoo only had cables,fuel oil lines, electrical etc.

    So I reinstalled everything, although I added a brand new starter, new top end gasket kit, exhaust gasket kit, intake gasket kit, REBUILT the carbs, with new needles and seats of course, replaced my R&D pro plenum with Prok flame arrestors (basically the same thing, just looks nicer), in addition I changed my stock nozzle and venturi to a R&D 88/85 venturi & nozzle (which I had to say, I am pretty impressed; I feel like I gained control on turns)

    ANYWAYS,

    After doing ALL that, I lost 2 Km/h. (1.25mph) I thought I would gain speed if anything.

    I think that I messed up. When I installed the head pipe assembly and the cone pipe assembly AND used the metal clamp with that bolt and nut to harness them together, I did not use the loctite it says in the manual between them. I noticed a TINY bit of smoke coming from inside my seaddo which I never have before. Could this be where I'm losing speed? I am almost SURE of it. If this is, what exact kind of loctite do I need? It just says: "413710300 Sealant, Loctite 17914 80ml"

    In addition,

    I am starting to hear knocking in the engine? I THINK. I don't get it. I've always run 91 octane and it has always ran 91 before me. Anyone know that one either? Thanks.


  2. #2
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    So I just took everything out for a nice clean (engine, head pipe, waterbox, EVERYTHING) seadoo only had cables,fuel oil lines, electrical etc.

    So I reinstalled everything, although I added a brand new starter, new top end gasket kit, exhaust gasket kit, intake gasket kit, REBUILT the carbs, with new needles and seats of course, replaced my R&D pro plenum with Prok flame arrestors (basically the same thing, just looks nicer), in addition I changed my stock nozzle and venturi to a R&D 88/85 venturi & nozzle (which I had to say, I am pretty impressed; I feel like I gained control on turns)

    ANYWAYS,

    After doing ALL that, I lost 2 Km/h. (1.25mph) I thought I would gain speed if anything.

    I think that I messed up. When I installed the head pipe assembly and the cone pipe assembly AND used the metal clamp with that bolt and nut to harness them together, I did not use the loctite it says in the manual between them. I noticed a TINY bit of smoke coming from inside my seaddo which I never have before. Could this be where I'm losing speed? I am almost SURE of it. If this is, what exact kind of loctite do I need? It just says: "413710300 Sealant, Loctite 17914 80ml"

    In addition,

    I am starting to hear knocking in the engine? I THINK. I don't get it. I've always run 91 octane and it has always ran 91 before me. Anyone know that one either? Thanks.
    yea there is a copper ring gasket in between the two pipe halves that sits in the stinger pipe....its a PIA to get right you just have to keep messing with it. For sealant you have to use the High Temp RVT sealant as the normal stuff just melts. Thats probably where your losing speed because the engine is sucking exhaust fumes.

    as for the knocking...is that at idle? you may need to adjust your idle screw up abit

  3. #3
    dlajoy1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks

  4. #4
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks
    yea I had that same issue once. its low level detonation. bump the idle up a tad and it will go away. be very liberal when applying that sealant BTW. lett it ooze out then attach the ring then if its still coming out wipe off the rest

  5. #5
    dlajoy1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks
    yea I had that same issue once. its low level detonation. bump the idle up a tad and it will go away. be very liberal when applying that sealant BTW. lett it ooze out then attach the ring then if its still coming out wipe off the rest
    The ring was already sitting in the pipe. Do I just leave it there and apply sealant on top of it and put the other pipe on and attach?

  6. #6
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks
    yea I had that same issue once. its low level detonation. bump the idle up a tad and it will go away. be very liberal when applying that sealant BTW. lett it ooze out then attach the ring then if its still coming out wipe off the rest
    The ring was already sitting in the pipe. Do I just leave it there and apply sealant on top of it and put the other pipe on and attach?
    Wish it was that easy... You need to take both pieces out. Head pipe and stinger and clean off all the old gasket rvt sealant to get a perfect seal. Then put a liberal amount on to the point it's oozing out then install the clamp correctly and tight. I know it's a pia but its the only way

  7. #7
    dlajoy1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks
    yea I had that same issue once. its low level detonation. bump the idle up a tad and it will go away. be very liberal when applying that sealant BTW. lett it ooze out then attach the ring then if its still coming out wipe off the rest
    The ring was already sitting in the pipe. Do I just leave it there and apply sealant on top of it and put the other pipe on and attach?
    Wish it was that easy... You need to take both pieces out. Head pipe and stinger and clean off all the old gasket rvt sealant to get a perfect seal. Then put a liberal amount on to the point it's oozing out then install the clamp correctly and tight. I know it's a pia but its the only way
    Maybe I worded that wrong. Im going to completely remove the head pipe so I can get access to the ring of each pipe, scrape them down like you mentioned, make sure all the old sealant is off, then I will apply new stuff (lots), attach them together, put the clamp on and tighten it down a LOT. That should squish them together enough to make the seal very tight, and like you mentioned, the excess sealant should ooz out.

  8. #8
    flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mahomet, Il. USA
    Posts
    6,004
    +1
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dlajoy1122 View Post
    ok ill buy some of the high temp sealant tomorrow. Do the job right. As for the knocking yes its only at idle. I will try and touch up the idle a tad, see what happens. Thanks
    yea I had that same issue once. its low level detonation. bump the idle up a tad and it will go away. be very liberal when applying that sealant BTW. lett it ooze out then attach the ring then if its still coming out wipe off the rest
    The ring was already sitting in the pipe. Do I just leave it there and apply sealant on top of it and put the other pipe on and attach?
    yes, put the sealant on the ring and on the top raised edges that come together. just make sure that you get that pipe on perfectly otherswise you will be doing it again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 96xp engine problem?
    By seadoobutch787 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
  2. Fuel Problem on 96Xp have to use Reserve Swithc
    By WvRider in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM
  3. Troubleshooting the Rotax Racing Stage I kit (was problems)
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 10-22-2005, 08:12 PM
  4. Mysterious problem on my RXP
    By Jeff C in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM
  5. 04 RXP Starting problem/question...
    By BLOWNRXP in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •