Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Pro 785 fuel petcock switch

Replaced all the fuel lines and rebuild my carbs. Pro runs great, one thing I didn't do that I thought about doing was replacing the fuel petcock on/off switch as they can go bad I guess??? Or so I read.

1. Can I just bypass the on off switch with a straight fuel line from the water separator to the carbs?
    2. If not I might just put a valve under the seat that I would have to switch on off or what sea doo valve works? I also heard a yamaha waveblaster on off switch works as well? Thanks for the help

+1
    I eliminated mine a long time ago on all my skis , I hate them . Some will say the engine will flood with gas on hot days due to pressure in the lines but it's yet to happen to me , IMO the valves are just one more thing to break and cause possible lean conditions.

+1
    That was my opinion too sort of. I agree. I mean the thing is my petcock is plastic, what could go wrong or rot away?? Maybe gum or goo it up from fuel lines.... But idk been debating what I want to do? Any other input from others would be great

+1
    just don't fill the tank to the top and let it sit in the sun and you will be FINE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerminator View Post
    ... my petcock is plastic, what could go wrong or rot away?? ...
    The internal o-rings that seal the shaft and keep air out of the fuel supply.

+1
    The oring can go bad. And its 2 more connections that can leak . That can cause a fuel leak, or air bubbles in the fuel stream. Also can cause
    intermittant. running or go lean and smoke a piston. I left mine off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    The oring can go bad. And its 2 more connections that can leak . That can cause a fuel leak, or air bubbles in the fuel stream. Also can cause
    intermittant. running or go lean and smoke a piston. I left mine off.
    Each can do as they please.

From my perspective, the fuel selector valve is a safety feature. Therefore not optional.

Even if the perception is that the risk of a bad event occurring seems low, the actual downside from a fuel flooded engine can be very bad. Engine internal damage, hull explosion, fire, personal injury.

Deleting a safety item rather than properly installing a good/rebuilt or new replacement seems like a cheap choice.

Risk of fuel leaks? Well, if good quality fuel hose and proper hose clamps (Oetiker style
    Stepless ear clamps are very reliable) are used, the risk of fuel or air leaks should be minimal. If you cannot trust the fuel connections to the hull mounted fuel selector valve, how can you trust the fuel connections on the actual engine, which is shaking like crazy and gets hot?

This is my perspective, of course. I tend towards adding safety features, rather then deleting or bypassing them.

+1
    I accidentally left my petcock open, with the ski in the sun. The increased pressure revealed that I had a leaky connection at the inlet barb on my fuel water separator by leaking fuel into the hull. It did not leak during normal operation. Replaced my fuel lines as a result to correct the issue.

+1
    That's interesting that the pressure revealed a problem in the fuel system but yet still ran..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    That's interesting that the pressure revealed a problem in the fuel system but yet still ran..
    Left in the sun, it might also have been the increased temperatures that helped it leak. Hose clamps expand as they get warmer, especially if they are not of the spring tension design.

The hose material typically softens with heat, perhaps becoming less tight around the barb.

During normal operation, there is air flow through the hull. A small fuel seepage might not be noticed if enough of it evaporates or gets sloshed away with the bilge water. When sitting, the same seepage can accumulate and become noticeable.

This is one of the reasons for lifting the seat and poking your head in before starting the engine. If a new fuel leak has just started recently, would you like to find out right away, or sometime much later?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information