2001 seadoo gtx di idling rough

Hi! I'm new to this forum and recently my 2001 seadoo gtx di has be shutting off after idling for a minute or two. Also it shuts off after starting it and giving it gas. Any suggestions to what is making it run rough?

Quote Originally Posted by gtxdi01 View Post
    Hi! I'm new to this forum and recently my 2001 seadoo gtx di has be shutting off after idling for a minute or two. Also it shuts off after starting it and giving it gas. Any suggestions to what is making it run rough?
    My 2000 DI has had the same issue for the last 10 years or so. It hasn't gotten any better, but hasn't gotten any worse either. It runs fine out of water on the hose seemingly indefinitely, though I've never let it run more than a few minutes. However, in the water it will start up like always, but after 10-15 seconds the RPM's begin to drop, it coughs and sputters and will eventually stall unless you tap the throttle. If you do tap the throttle, it's good for another 10-15 seconds. This summer I spent some time looking at this issue specifically, and found that if I held my thumb on the throttle just enough to keep the RPM's at 1450, it would run like that indefinitely, making me wonder if it's just as simple as the throttle cable needing adjustment. That said, I would have thought this would fall back to an idle screw adjustment - but according to the service manual the idle screw does not actually set the idle speed. (?) I always thought 1450 RPM seemed high for an idle speed, but if the compressor needs this amount of RPM to maintain the necessary air pressure to keep the fuel rail functional, then it stands to reason that if, for any reason, the RPM's drop below this level it cannot supply enough air to the rail, which in turn starts to cause fuel to be mis-injected and the inevitable stall.

Speaking of the service manual, the only listed cause for idling problems is the air compressor. Have you checked your compressor? There is a high pressure, high temperature hose that goes from the air compressor to the injector rail. Be careful with this part, that hose alone sells for $400! However there is also a high temperature plastic hose that runs from another nipple on the compressor to the RAVE solenoid on the port side of the hull. I've heard of guys having blow-outs in this hose. How does it run otherwise? Can you get up to full speed? Any other symptoms? Maint light? How many hours on the motor?

Cube

Actually, after re-reading your post - it sounds like it's more than just an idling issue. Have you ever replaced the fuel filters? There are two inside the gas tank and one outside it. I just did this on mine after having a lot of "strange" problem with mine. I changed all the filters and the fuel pump with an after market one and it's run like new ever since.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo_gtx-di_dirty_fuel_filter-1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	311843

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seadoo_gtx-di_dirty_fuel_filter-2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	311844

Thread Information