Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Why would I choose Seadoo over Yamaha?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase my first JetSki. I think I have narrowed down to Seadoo vs Yamaha.

Why should I choose Seadoo over Yamaha?
    Any good known dealers in Orlando you can recommend?

What I want:

A stable craft.
    3 Seater
    Will be taking 10 year old son on days out (as rider not driver).
    Live in Florida
    Good in choppy and glass water.
    Easy to maintain but I am not afraid to work on engines.
    I like fast, but not crazy fast.
    I plan to use mostly on lakes with some sea trips (probably 70/30% ratio).
    Not wanting to do tricks...

I am a little hesitant in Yamaha after hearing about the bucking issues (I certainly don't want that to happen with my kids in tow). Although this is on the FX models, the VX seem to be more stable.

I like the look of the RXT-X 260. Can this tow a wakeboard/ski/tube etc? Is this too much machine for a first ski? Is this family friendly?

Sorry for the many questions but there is so much to learn here.

Banned User
    +1
    The way I am hearing it, I think the Yamaha FX HO would be hard to beat. Its a NA motor with good performance and a nice stable hull.

+1
    Look at the 155hp seadoos.
    The Gti, gtx models.
    They are quick, stable, fuel efficient and near bullet proof.
    The rxtx is a great ski and I do recommend it a lot its just not a ski for a novice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The way I am hearing it, I think the Yamaha FX HO would be hard to beat. Its a NA motor with good performance and a nice stable hull.
    I agree. From the sound of what he is looking for, that would be the way to go.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by karemlore View Post
    I am a little hesitant in Yamaha after hearing about the bucking issues (I certainly don't want that to happen with my kids in tow). Although this is on the FX models, the VX seem to be more stable.

Can this tow a wakeboard/ski/tube etc? Is this too much machine for a first ski? Is this family friendly?
    Neither the FX HO or SHO have any bucking issues, the FZ can but the R&D intake grate completely solves the issue. I pull tubes, knee boards and even a skier or 2 all the time on my FZS without any problems. Either one is a good choice but if you don't care about top top speed then go with the FX HO for that extra reliability of not having a super charger to worry about.

+1
    In stock form, crazy fast will be a SC'd power plant vs. the NA, regardless of brand. However, the SeaDoo version will require periodic maintenance to the super charger (every 100 to 200 hrs depending on your ride habits). The SD 4Tec is a great power plant, but I'm certainly not knocking any others. Another reason to perhaps consider the SD may also be it's closed-loop cooling system, being your in a salt environment.

And yes, the X-T will be family friendly plus be more than adequate for pulling the kids. I've got the '06 215 T that has plenty of power for pulling the tube. As far as the hull types and stability, I'm not up to date on which models offer the suspension rides, but they'll smooth out some of the chop.

On the downside, SD has gone heavy w/bells & whistles, which has increased the price of these toys.

Finally, welcome to the 'hulk. The search function of this forum is your friend. BTW - not that you were asking, but just in case your looking for a place to ride - here's the FL page of my site regarding ride info. I think FL is now up to 2,000 miles of downloadable trails... http://pwctrailfinder.com/FloridaPWCTrailRides.html

Best of luck w/your purchase and experience.

PS: Aren't the 2014 models being introduced in a few weeks? Might be worth waiting to see if going new...

Thanks everyone, real helpful information.

83Gator: Excellent info, thx and bookmarked...I have done many a search but there are so many competing "thoughts" around PWC (I have found) that it is hard to weed out the noise...Thank you for your welcome, hope to have some stories to post soon...

I am hoping to pick up an end-of-season deal on 2013 models exactly for the reason that 2014 models are being announced (Aug 12th I read somewhere). It might be worth holding out...I can only imagine older models will become cheaper (even new).

+1
    I agree with the above statements. The Yamaha FX would be great for your expectations.
    I know this is in the Sea Doo section but it is an option of the OP.
    The FX does not have the bucking issues even at the highter modified speeds.

+1
    Seadoo gti 155.

+1
    Personally I think you'd be happy the GTI 155, GTX 215/limited 260, RXT/X or FX HO or FX SHO or FZS. Really can't go wrong with either company.

I'm not sure how you view the power side of things when it comes to your autos and toys. But that is something I'd seriously figure out before you purchase a PWC. What may feel fast the first month or so may feel real lacking two months down the road. Supercharged skis are fun and have all the power. They do require slightly more maintenance over ownership and most importantly do burn more gas.

Yamaha's are solid built machines. Not really cutting edge on technology. FX models do have the most features. Very nice that there supercharged skis are design to run on 87 octane. FX and FZS hulls will do a good job in a variety of conditions.

Seadoo's are solid also and have more features that may be of benefit for you and your son. Being a first time owner there brake/reverse/starting in neutral feature is really great. Within minutes you feel very comfortable around tight spaces or docking with it which is probably what most people fear the most when on the water. Closed loop cooling is a great feature also for salt water. RXT/X s3 hull is a great hull in all conditions...one of the better hulls ever built. GTI hulls are a little more basic but still do great job in all conditions. But the S3 is the better hull especially when talking about doing some ocean riding.

Chances are you'll be more then happy with either company's skis. But first figure out budget and supercharged or not. That will narrow down choices quickly. Your in Florida so you should be able to get some test rides on different models quite easily.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information