Yamaha XL 1200 Price?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 XL 1200 in a couple days.

It is CLEAN! Decals Removed and rebuilt engine with 60 hrs.

1 thing that concerns me is that the guy put 4 speakers in the sides of the ski, (2 per side). Is that something to be concerned about. I love music, just wondering if this is a big "no no" when it comes to structural integrity.

I do have a few questions since it will be my first ski--

1- I have heard that these skis have Cat conv. problems. I plan on putting in the D-Plate and Riva chip, but jsut wanted to know if what I heard was true.

2-Is 60 hrs a lot on a rebuilt engine? What should I be concerned about there.

3- It had a Karavan trailer, is that a "beefy" enough trailer for it?

4- What Known Problems are there with the xl 1200s?

5- I know a decent amount about the ski due to research and manual reading, but what is there to look out for when test driving/ looking through it? Besides the obvious compression. Things to feel for while riding?

Lastly, What is a reasonable price for the machine?
    Or what should I offer?

I appreciate all the help in advance!!!

Tom

No one??

Bump

Back in 2000 I bought a new one from Champion Yamaha in Newport. I rode the heck out of it with no issues. I thought it was a great ski. 2 strokes rock.

I think new (if I remember correctly) it was $8,900. Last week I bought it's grandson, a new 2013 FX SHO with a trailer (with storage box, fuel jug storage, chrome wheels, polished diamond plate, etc) for $17,300. No one can say for sure what you should pay because you need to look at the overall condition of the entire package, which can range from very good to a salt eaten rust bucket. Sorry I can't help any more than that. No one else answered and I have owned one so I thought I would chime in.

+1
    Believe I paid 2800 for mine 3 years ago,with a few minor mods and 110hrs. I also have a karavan trailer. No problems here, just make sure you keep the hubs greased well. It's a stable ski, if its tippy at low speeds, you have the old style sponsons. Invest $30 or so with the newer style ones. I would offer $2000-2250

+1
    I'm not a fan of modded hulls for speakers as it will be a hard sell if you ever decide to resell. It's a good ski, but I would rather a 2001+ xlt. If you really like the xll, I wouldn't pay over 2.2k and that's in great condition.

THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT!!
    It really has helped a lot.
    So, what I am picking up is that its a good all over ski.
    I do have another question. What is the difference in the "XL 1200" and the "XL 1200 Limited"
    I see people selling these as 2 different skis.

Also, what is the benefit of the XLT??

Thanks to all Again!!

Tom

Also, I see people all over the forum talking about the PV1200 being either REALLY reliable, or not at all.
    This kinda scares me as Im looking to keep it all stock for reliability and longevity.

Thanks !!

AnyBody?? BUMP

+1
    The 1200R pv is a reliable motor that has to be maintained as a matter of fact it demands it. power valves are moving parts and do wear and pins get loose and can fall out unless clips are installed to prevent them from coming out. i have never replaced a bad oil pump but deleted a lot of them. the lines are what fails and come off the carbs. the main thing to be weary of on a ski that seems to be a great ride with a rebuilt motor is who did the rebuild and was the motor replaced with a rebuilt one. too many people buying a clean ski and riding it a couple times and the crankshaft locking up. if the motor has a sbt sticker on it be ware.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    The 1200R pv is a reliable motor that has to be maintained as a matter of fact it demands it. power valves are moving parts and do wear and pins get loose and can fall out unless clips are installed to prevent them from coming out. i have never replaced a bad oil pump but deleted a lot of them. the lines are what fails and come off the carbs. the main thing to be weary of on a ski that seems to be a great ride with a rebuilt motor is who did the rebuild and was the motor replaced with a rebuilt one. too many people buying a clean ski and riding it a couple times and the crankshaft locking up. if the motor has a sbt sticker on it be ware.

Well, I went ahead and took the plunge. The motor was rebuilt by a guy who works on them as a hobby and owns A LOT of skis.
    It has 89.? hrs. The D-plate was already installed (by the same guy who rebuilt the motor). It is in really great shape. The hull was recently repainted and is as white as snow. It runs good, but it does have some vibration at lower rpm. I think it may idle low. It is a very fun ski!

Wave eaters will be ordered today as will the oil block off plate.

Anyone have a good link to diy install of the oil block off plate?

Thanks for all the help, hope to post more since I actually own one now.

Thread Information