Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Looks like my xp is done!

Got $305 worth of parts in today for the 95 xp and broke the ball off of a ball end allen wrench in a carb bolt and can't get the ball out as it snaps in.... Another of the bolt heads is about to strip .. I've spayed em with pb blaster for 2 days. I've beat on the allen wrench in the one bout to strip trying to get it to give. Don't know what else to try. Jb weld and super glue wouldn't stick to the allen ball to pull it out. Can barely get ahold of it with needle nose but no go it just to slips off. Bout ready to give up and junk the piece of shit.

+1
    Finally got the ball out of the one and it is bout to strip the head too. Neither of the ones closest to the head will budge.....other two are out.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pointhunter75 View Post
    Finally got the ball out of the one and it is bout to strip the head too. Neither of the ones closest to the head will budge.....other two are out.
    Time to get some bolt extractors and put in some work

+1
    How do they work? I'm gonna go buy an impact allen socket after work and try the impact gun. Hopefully that'll break it lose

+1
    Ok, I got a craftsmen non impact allen socket.didn't have impact kind at the sears. Back carb bolt backed out bout a quarter inch then the head stripped. Front carb just twisted then stripped the head. The threads are not the corrosion problem, it's inside the carb hole that the bolts go through. . . It's tight! Crazy! The back carb will spin freely since it's backed out some but the front one is still pretty tight. I also broke the nipple off the fuel pump cover, pulse line nipple I guess. And one of the plastic ball cups on the rod from the front carb to the back one broke...this has turned into a nightmare. My brother thinks vinegar will eat corrosion, anybody know?.

Go to your local auto parts and buy a spray can of battery post cleaner. This should get the corrosion off. You can also get a torx bit and yuou may have to kinda get a small hammer and tap it in there but sometimes this works for me.

+1
    thanks I'll try that. If not it's going to a machine shop tomorrow!

+1
    I've had some VERY tight ones and never stripped a head. Stainless is pretty tough. Were you using metric allens? They are 6mm not 3/16. I use allen sockets and my ratchet. Some liquid wrench or PB Blaster into the carb bolt holes should free up the mounting bolts.

+1
    I dont know why but i stuck the 6mm ball allen socket in the first one but it snapped off immediately. Took two days to get that ball out. The stripping happened with a brand new craftsman 6 mm on the impact. My cousin cut the head off of it for me today finally. So now on to the rebuild tomorrow!

+1
    Gonna look for a good tutorial on the carb rebuild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information