+1

97 GTI 717.....Ran Great.....died on water now won't start after carb and fuel lines

This thing is driving me nuts.....Brand new motor perfect compression.......Took it out for the first time after motor was replaced......ran great for about three hours. All of a sudden it just died. Would not even try to fire (cranked fine though). Rebuilt carb>>>>No change......New fuel lines>>>>No Change......New Plugs>>>> No change...Pulled plug and cranked it and seeing a nice Bluish spark. Once in a while it will sputter but never actually starts.......Plugs are soaking wet with fuel from all the cranking so i know its getting gas. Goddamit!!!!! Any input is appreciated....

do all cylinders have spark? or did you just test one? Youll need to buy new plugs now, because gas fouled plugs are useless. Id buy a few extra sets and have them handy in case you need more. I keep 8 extra plugs per ski(4 cyl) or 6 for my seadoos have because you never know...Just because you have spark outside in open air doesnt ALWAYS mean they are firing properly when running or turning over under compression. Brand new spark plugs only need to be fouled for a split-second, then they are toast.

Could your fuel be bad?

What is your compression ?

Make sure the gap on plugs is correct, I like to go just under the minimum specs to help with ignition and start ups and it works well.

What about oil? not too much, not too little. it needs to be just right.

Have you tried starting it with starting fluid? A gas soaked terry cloth over the intake will work if you are without.

Did you check and adjust your float levels? Most of the time on older machines they become saturated and wont float properly, causing the engine to flood out. Which might be your issue. Your FSM should have the weight and proper height that it needs to be set at. If they are off or worn, they need replacing. I personally have not worked on a carb'd GTI but these are just a few of the basics when dealing with something like this. You seem to have an idea of what you are doing, but when you figure it out itll be so simple youll kick yourself in the ass afterwards. Im sure there will be more people that will chime. I spent days on my custom 1976 cb750 after doing a full fletched over haul and it did very similar things, turns out that i accidentally forgot to install the new floats. a few turned wrenches, a couple of 'fuckin a's" and its running like a monster. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    do all cylinders have spark? or did you just test one? Youll need to buy new plugs now, because gas fouled plugs are useless. Id buy a few extra sets and have them handy in case you need more. I keep 8 extra plugs per ski(4 cyl) or 6 for my seadoos have because you never know...Just because you have spark outside in open air doesnt ALWAYS mean they are firing properly when running or turning over under compression. Brand new spark plugs only need to be fouled for a split-second, then they are toast.

Could your fuel be bad?

What is your compression ?

Make sure the gap on plugs is correct, I like to go just under the minimum specs to help with ignition and start ups and it works well.

What about oil? not too much, not too little. it needs to be just right.

Have you tried starting it with starting fluid? A gas soaked terry cloth over the intake will work if you are without.

Did you check and adjust your float levels? Most of the time on older machines they become saturated and wont float properly, causing the engine to flood out. Which might be your issue. Your FSM should have the weight and proper height that it needs to be set at. If they are off or worn, they need replacing. I personally have not worked on a carb'd GTI but these are just a few of the basics when dealing with something like this. You seem to have an idea of what you are doing, but when you figure it out itll be so simple youll kick yourself in the ass afterwards. Im sure there will be more people that will chime. I spent days on my custom 1976 cb750 after doing a full fletched over haul and it did very similar things, turns out that i accidentally forgot to install the new floats. a few turned wrenches, a couple of 'fuckin a's" and its running like a monster. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply but I found the problem.......Rotary Valve Slipped out of time....Put it back right and it started right up......30 seconds later it died......Checked it again.....Out of time........This was a remained engine from SBT so the rotary shaft gear must of had too much wear on it......its under warranty so I'll have to have them send me another one. Just glad I didnt go waste a bunch of money replacing crap that wasn't broke. Compression is perfect at 148/149 so Im pretty sure this was a defect in the engine itself from the start.

Thread Information