96 xp shuts off randomly

I have a 96 XP that runs fine 99%of the time but every once and a while it will shut off almost as if the lanyard/key is not on. By the time I get home and try to diagnose, it fires up no issue. It sometimes will run for hours before this happens other days it will shut off right out the gate. I have replaced the solenoid, tested the battery, checked all the fuses and battery lead connections not sure what to do? I never have any issues starting it at home on the hose so I'm not sure how to fix or even diagnose as when there's tools around it seems to behave. Thoughts? Thanks in advance

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
    I have a 96 XP that runs fine 99%of the time but every once and a while it will shut off almost as if the lanyard/key is not on. By the time I get home and try to diagnose, it fires up no issue. It sometimes will run for hours before this happens other days it will shut off right out the gate. I have replaced the solenoid, tested the battery, checked all the fuses and battery lead connections not sure what to do? I never have any issues starting it at home on the hose so I'm not sure how to fix or even diagnose as when there's tools around it seems to behave. Thoughts? Thanks in advance
    sounds like the ground. run a new ground from the battery to the engine on the front right side...up by the magneto cover. They tend to corrode over time and that may be the issue. also check your connections to the motor and the rear black box.

Thank you heading out now to look

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chatcher View Post
    Thank you heading out now to look
    you wont be able to tell by looking at the ground. you would have to cut the line to see if the grounds copper wire was green on the inside of the rubber coating. I would run an extra ground and see if that fixes your issue

Thread Information