Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

My 2004 RXP story.

I finally got a second four stroke ski to sit next to the 05 GTX SC I picked up in the spring.

A lady had purchased this 04 RXP two years ago for her kids to ride and I got the impression it was salt water ridden hard and put away wet with very little PM done. This spring it's not running very good but it does run so she takes it to the dealership where they diagnose it as a skipped timing chain and quoted her a crazy amount to pull the head and repair, ski has 92 hours on it. I like skis that are in good cosmetic shape but need mechanical work and I figured this would be a good winter project and a great way to learn about these 4 tec motors. I had a line on this before she advertised it and was able to get it for $2K which included a cover and a decent aluminum single place trailer. I'm in Canada where the prices are much higher and supply is not as available as some parts of the US at 2K it would have lasted hours on Craigslist before it was gone.

I bought it without having a really good look at it but after a good bath, polish and some new black shop vac hose for the front hood hose decorations it came out really nice. Rigid replacement 1 7/8" shop vac hose from Home Depot fits perfectly. Looking around I notice an R&D intake system, OPAS block offs, intake grate, reverse bucket has been shaved, pump wedge and exhaust resonator has been removed. First step is to pull the valve cover and check the cam timing as described in the shop manual, first thing I notice is the valve cover had not been removed recently if at all since new, cam timing marks line up perfectly. I noticed when it runs it smells of gas like an old carbed car with the choke stuck on so I'm thinking bad spark plugs, coil packs or maybe stuck injector. I put the known good plugs and coil packs out of my 05 in it and the thing purrs like new put the 04 coil packs in and same thing runs great. All this thing really needed was spark plugs !

The supercharger went to Jerry for a rebuild as it still had the original ceramic washers. I installed a new valve cover gasket, spark plugs, oil and filter and replaced the carbon ring, boot and C clip for good measure.

I had it out for the first time tonight and WOW what a great machine, faster than my buddies 2012 GTR, very playfull hull and it likes to launch with the trim all the way nose up. It feels similar to my old 97 GSI except more stable and 130 more HP to play with. It was turning 8100 RPM at WOT and slowly pulling away from the GTR. I'm a happy camper !

Damn great deal! Congrats! Yea, I love the kinda story you hear when someone takes one quick guess at a symptom and immediately blames "timing chain skipped some teeth"

I'm not saying it's never happened to anyone's 4-tec before....but poking fun that it's a "cool" thing to blame, I guess Nothing like trying to "scare" somebody, or take their money.

+1
    The sad part is the diagnosis came from a Seadoo dealer.

Reading up on the 4tecs timing chains seem to break rather than skip my first though after hearing the diagnosis was dropped exhaust valve.

+1
    That was lucky, post some pictures of the machine

+1
    You need to change your user name to "Sofa King Awesome!"

Got almost the same deal on the same machine. Went to the lake w a friend and the dang thing wouldn't start. So we launch her GTX and she rides that for the day. She takes it to the dealer and they replace the battery. Next, we put it in the water and it turns over and over, but won't start. Back on the trailer it goes. At this point she's so frustrated she offers it to me for $2500. I think about it while we're riding and when we get back and put her GTX on the trailer again, the RXP is gushing water. Now she's serious about selling. So I told him that I will take the deal and on the way home she talks to her parents. She said she's taking it to the dealer to be fixed. I already found that the exhaust hose was often that's why it was taking on water, and I assume the deal was no longer standing. Fast forward about two months, she's had no luck selling it at her price, so she text me and I bought it off of her. I threw a $50 wear ring in it, and put it on the lake. Now I'm trying to sell it to buy a new GTI in January at the boat show. They are extremely awesome machines but I use mine mostly for playing and skiing behind.

I went to Home Depot today and bought the hose that you suggested, and it worked perfectly!! Thanks

Banned User
    +1
    Amazing how much you guys pay in canada compared to here in the states. Don't you guys have tons of lakes up there too?

+1
    Craigslist has three RXPs for sale locally, 2004 $6,000, 2006 $6,500 and a 2007 $5,750. Further south in the Seattle and Portland areas the asking prices are comparable to Canadian prices, all the deals are on the East coast.

Lots of lakes back east in Ontario not so many around my area, I live on the coast near Vancouver B.C. there are a few local fresh water lakes but on summer weekends they turn into a gong show with all the weekend warriors. We vacation in Osoyoos which has the designation of the warmest fresh water lake in Canada. The skis spend about half their hours in Osoyoos Lake the other half in the salt as we ride the local coastal areas when not on vacation.

+1
    a good rxp around here will run you about 7500 to 9 k with reasonable hours... but 6-10 k is what will buy you a clean rxp/T up here ... its just the going rate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information