Seadoo XP bogging down and oil out of exhuast

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 1995 Seadoo xp, pretty cheap. It looks to be in pretty good shape. The previous owner stored it for a year. Went into storage fine came out bogging down on full throttle. He thought fuel lines/carb and replaced the lines and used a rebuild kit for the carbs. Didn't fix problem and sold it to me. The ski cranks and fires instantly, idles good, but smokes a ton. I gave it some throttle for about 3 seconds and tons of smoke. It also was spitting oil out the exhaust. So much oil that when I shut it down, there was a puddle uner the exhaust about 5 inches round. not oil water as I didn't hook up a water line. Just grey oil. Any thoughts on what needs to be done? I,ve heard of the oil pumps going bad, but they usually stop sending oil, not increasing it. Any tests I can do to eliminate things. New to skies. Plenty of time on two stroke motors (dirt bikes, outboards).. Thanks in advance for any help.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    take a mirror and look at the oil pump...it may be full on. the cable may not be connected. there are marks on the front of the oil pump that line up to be calibrated. makse sure that they are.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    take a mirror and look at the oil pump...it may be full on. the cable may not be connected. there are marks on the front of the oil pump that line up to be calibrated. makse sure that they are.
    ok. Pulled the airbox and got in with a mirror. Tough to see. The cable is hooked up but I can't see any alignment marks with the mirror. However it seems to be connected and when the throttle is depressed moves though a range of about 90degrees

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfgtye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    ok. Pulled the airbox and got in with a mirror. Tough to see. The cable is hooked up but I can't see any alignment marks with the mirror. However it seems to be connected and when the throttle is depressed moves though a range of about 90degrees
    there may be some buildup on the pump. spray it off with some cleaner. the marks are painted but stamped in the metal half moon piece that the cable wraps around. there should be another mark on the pump itself. if thats not it you could have some bad crank seals and that means you have to replace the crank. its cheap if you do it yourself...

+1
    Typical on an older Seadoo. The inner crank seals are seeping. They are letting 2 stroke oil from the RV cavity seep into the crankcase. The only real fix is to replace the crank. You can bandaid the problem by switching over to premix (this requires removal of the plastic drive gear inside the intake housing) and draining the RV cavity. Now add about 3 oz of oil stop leak (the kind that swells seals) to the lower RV line, then continue to fill with some heavy 90-125w gear oil. Hook the two lines together with a 1/2" vac ell from the parts store and ride it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you don't need to switch to premix!

just plug the larger oil line fitting coming out of the tank and proceed as above.

you want to isolate the rv oil feed and as stated above, use some seal swell and heavier oil.

hackalicous band aid however.

you're going to have to replace the crank pretty soon..like a the end of the season

as I am know for saying around here, we don't want skis discharging excess oil ANYWHERE. It' s bad for the sport and give the lawmakers lobby ideas to ban skis due to excess pollution.

your ski trailing a bunch of injector oil and heavy smoke isn't helping...

oh yeah..no 17 year old two stroke engine is in "good shape" these days.

it needs a rebuild

OK. Wasn't planning on putting in the water this season. Figured it would be a winter project. I'd rather pull the engine and rebuild over running it and risk being stuck. Is there anything else this could be or that I should look into while the engine is removed? Any way to difinitively test that it is the crank? Also you say the crank needs to be replaced. Do you mean the crank seals or does the leak occur because the crank is worn

+1
    The crank seals are old and shrunken up a bit but, they are an integral part of the crankshaft assembly. Unless you have all the tooling to rebuild a crank they are not replaceable by themselves.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if the top end looks good on inspection, you can get by with a new crank..and perhaps a new set of rings.

I'd suggest redoing the entire engine, as it is a bit of labor to pull it all apart.

how is the engine compression?

these crank seals fail rather often in older skis, I suspect it has something to do with using low grade outboard injector oil or perhaps a water ingestion incident some time during the life of the engine

you can pressure test the rv oil chamber to confirm rate of the leak, but this is so common of a problem I wouldn't bother, it has all the classic symptoms.

Thread Information