96 GTI dash lights, but no beep beep and no crank

Hey guys,

I aqcuired a 96 GTI with single trailor for free. It was running when parked (2 years ago), and had dealer services throughout its recent life. I believe it was winterzed, because it had no fluids, but I added all the fluids and went to crank and got nothing. The dash lights come on an guages light up. I do get the one short and one long beep when I put it in advance diagnostics mode, but I cannot get it to crank. I have a spare (MEPM?)((gray box)). The one that is hooked up to the ski looks brand new, and the old is in the new one's box. I put the new battery from my kawasaki stx 1100 into it to try and get it to crank and I got nothing. My cable ends for the battery are a little corroded, so I have new ones but they are not installed yet.

I am trying to find out whether it is my battery cables, MEPM, or possibly the DESS post. I have two keys (regular, and learner) and neither one does anything as far as beeping. I also have a spare DESS post, but I don't want to replace it if the concensus is that it's probably not the post.

Any help you can give me will help, I'm not a Sea Doo guy! Well I guess I am now!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCrunner2012 View Post
    Hey guys,

I aqcuired a 96 GTI with single trailor for free. It was running when parked (2 years ago), and had dealer services throughout its recent life. I believe it was winterzed, because it had no fluids, but I added all the fluids and went to crank and got nothing. The dash lights come on an guages light up. I do get the one short and one long beep when I put it in advance diagnostics mode, but I cannot get it to crank. I have a spare (MEPM?)((gray box)). The one that is hooked up to the ski looks brand new, and the old is in the new one's box. I put the new battery from my kawasaki stx 1100 into it to try and get it to crank and I got nothing. My cable ends for the battery are a little corroded, so I have new ones but they are not installed yet.

I am trying to find out whether it is my battery cables, MEPM, or possibly the DESS post. I have two keys (regular, and learner) and neither one does anything as far as beeping. I also have a spare DESS post, but I don't want to replace it if the concensus is that it's probably not the post.

Any help you can give me will help, I'm not a Sea Doo guy! Well I guess I am now!
    could be that the solenoid is craped out or the starter locked up..? heve you checked all the fuses?

I have checked the fuses inside the gray box. Are there any more fuses? The engine spins freely.

My issue is that I do not get the two happy beeps when I put the key on the DESS post. Just my dash lights up when I hit the start button. I get no crank, no click either. BUT if I try and put it in advance diagnostics mode, I get the one short beep then long beep. This means that all is well with the MEPM right??

+1
    My issue is that I do not get the two happy beeps when I put the key on the DESS post. Just my dash lights up when I hit the start button. I get no crank, no click either. BUT if I try and put it in advance diagnostics mode, I get the one short beep then long beep. This means that all is well with the MEPM right??
    not sure, I ve never messed with the diagnostic mode. could be the post could be the MPEM. jump the starter solonoid with a screw driver and rule out the starter. if you have another gray box hook it up and see what happens. if it fires or cranks its the MPEM for sure./

Ok. The only reason I didnt swap gray boxes is because the one that is in it is a new one from the dealership. Whoever owned the ski before me took good care of the thing, it seems like just a small thing that is my problem. I was originally leaning towards the DESS post, but I would rather not cut and splice the new one in if I don't have to but it is looking more and more like I just need to swap some stuff out and see what happens. I guess I will start with the battery terminals since they are pretty badly corroded and go from there.

+1
    Ok. The only reason I didnt swap gray boxes is because the one that is in it is a new one from the dealership. Whoever owned the ski before me took good care of the thing, it seems like just a small thing that is my problem. I was originally leaning towards the DESS post, but I would rather not cut and splice the new one in if I don't have to but it is looking more and more like I just need to swap some stuff out and see what happens. I guess I will start with the battery terminals since they are pretty badly corroded and go from there.
    d'oh...totally missed that in the first post. yes. clean and or replace the cables. take some jumper cables and reground and see if that works

So good news! I got the ski to start today! All I did was fix the corroded cable end and replace the DESS post. So that seemed to be my issue anyway. The only thing I can't figure out is now my dash lights do not work. I get nothing from my dashboard. No lights or gauges now. Hmmm. Any suggestions on that one?

Thread Information