Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help repairing this crack 97 gp760

hey everyone, i have a 1997 gp760 and the other day i discovered this crack after riding, any advice on how to repair it, i pulled away some of the top layer and i noticed its cracked underneath too. Im a newbie to skis but from research i am assuming the top layer is a gelcoat and underneath is fiberglass. correct me if i am wrong please. How should i repair this? use a gel coat repair kit? a fiberglass repair kit? Both? or perhaps maybe something else? i dont care if its pretty or not.

the crack is near the front of the ski maybe 9-10 inches to the right of the gas cap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	309771Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	309772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	309773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	309774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	309775

These skis are not Fiberglass rather they are SMC (Sheet molded compound). You would have to take that to a boat repair place...where is the crack located ? hard to tell from pics..nose, back? side? I had a nose crack that was fixed with fiberglass and marinetex....still great..Not as bad as that though. Where are you located?
    Don

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YAMAHA GP760.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	309778 the crack is near the nose, i made a red circle on a picture i found from the web where the crack is located on my ski. ill try to get a picture of my ski up soon, but i am in Wilmington NC so there are a lot of boat repair shops around. i would preferably want to repair it my self but if its a must i will get it done professionally.
    Last edited by Shreedamin; 08-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.

would say that its a big crack (attachment won't open). I would get it fixed. mine was in NJ and cost $500

+1
    That needs professional attention. I see somebodys past hacka$$ repair job. I can see some grinding down into the crack and the pink stuff appears to be cheap Bondo.

you know what sucks is i just got this ski too, traded away my 1999 xl760 for this. Doesn't even have a 760 engine in it, has a 700 engine. shoulda listen to my gut and walked away when i had the chance.

oh also, i read somewhere that i could possibly use this kit to do the repair because its epoxy resign based.
    and yea my plan was to do some hardcore grinding fill sand fill sand paint to protect. Like i said i dont care if it looks ugly just wanna be able to use the ski. I am on a college kid budget.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...i&merchID=4005

also that pink stuff might be compound that i used to wash the ski. But like i said i just got the ski so it might be an amateur repair job.

+1
    DO IT YOURSELF. How are you ever gonna learn something if all you do is pay people to fix it for you? you're in college. DIY. 15 years down the road, when you're hopefully rolling in money...then pay someone to fix stuff you aren't interested in learning or fixing.

+1
    I have a 99 hull you could have but I am in pa.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    DO IT YOURSELF. How are you ever gonna learn something if all you do is pay people to fix it for you? you're in college. DIY. 15 years down the road, when you're hopefully rolling in money...then pay someone to fix stuff you aren't interested in learning or fixing.
    I do wanna do it my self, trust me i'm not the take it to a shop and pay someone kind of guy, ill sit and do hours of research and then try and fix it myself. And from my research on a another forum some said to use this kit "West System Fiberglass Boat Repair Kit", what do you think, yes or no?

I have a 99 hull you could have but I am in pa.
    well if i somehow mess up my hull to a point of no return i might have to make that drive

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information