"97 GTX Drive Shaft Removal

The carbon ring is worn out, because of LOTS of movement. I think it's the original. So the excessive water in hull and also the cavitation I'm getting at take off, is related to worn ring.
    Questions:
    1) Am I thinking right about the worn ring, problems I'm having?
    2) How do I remove drive shaft from engine to replace with new carbon ring and new bellows?
    Thanks for any help for a "Back Yard Mechanic"
    Dan09

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan09 View Post
    The carbon ring is worn out, because of LOTS of movement. I think it's the original. So the excessive water in hull and also the cavitation I'm getting at take off, is related to worn ring.
    Questions:
    1) Am I thinking right about the worn ring, problems I'm having?
    2) How do I remove drive shaft from engine to replace with new carbon ring and new bellows?
    Thanks for any help for a "Back Yard Mechanic"
    Dan09
    1. lean over the back of the hull and grab the metal flange infront of the accordion boot and pull back. its compressed so pull hard.
    2. when you get that pulled back there will either be an o ring around the shaft or a C clip. if its the oring roll it towards the back of the engine and eventually off the drive shaft
    3. once you have that loose and the boot, flange and carbon ring are free go back to the pump and remove the sterring bolt(10mm) then at the very back of the pump there is 4 (15mm?) bolts that hold the pump to the hull. remove them and pull the pump off. there is selant on the pump to the hull so you have to wiggle it a bit to break it free. there are shims on the back of the pump so try to remember how many where on each stud.
    4. pull the drive shaft after the pump is off.
    5. reinstall drive shaft with new carbon ring VERY IMPORTANT...rememeber to put the oring back on before you put the pump on. I forgot once and had to pull the pump again

Sounds like a plan to do.
    As far as the pump and wear ring housing, I just had that all removed on this ski. I was inspecting the wear ring that was replaced mid summer last year, because of cavitation on take off. Ring looked perfect, should because of minimum hours on ring.
    I just recently rebuilt carbs. So I dropped in water and "Wow", got a cavitation issue this year. I had ski for almost 2 years and always had more water in hull than I thought it should.
    This carbon ring is new to me, but the issues ski has, it's definately makes since.
    I gradually learnng about maintinance on this ski and on the '01 GTX RFI that I just bought. Just replaced wear ring on it.
    Thanks for your reply.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Your cavitation issue is also a part of this carbon ring sucking air because its worn.

I am defiantly no Sea Doo mechanic and the info you get from people on this forum is priceless and a great help. airbornexp did a great job of taking the time to explain to you how to change your carbon ring. Now taking that in mind, if you download one of the free Sea Doo manuals for your model ski you can have his info and have pictures to look at to see just exactly what he explained to you. Seeing the pictures of the maint. being preformed helps me tremendously. Thanks to all of you posters who take the time to help others.

btodd29, I'm with you on not a being Certified/License mechanic, lol. But after learning about this web site, it's has been MOST helpful. The guys that offer all their knowledge, is priceless.................
    Hope to get on it monday morning.

Thread Information