+1

2000 GTI Blowing Fuses

A friend of the son took this ski out and wiped out. Next thing I know it was being towed in. It kept blowing 5A fuses in MPEM. It stopped when I disconnected the Stator "harness". So I replaced the stator. Still blowing 5A when the lanyard is attached. Also found out it fried the 15A in the rear box also. I need to find out what is going on with this thing. Any words of advice? I also just put a new ignition coil in the rear box. The old one was "fried" and rusty.....last year.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    Common for these mpem to go bad. Uses ground threw engine connector to ground mpem, so makes sense to not blow fuses when frt connect disconnected. I would say try different mepm if possible.

+1
    Have an OEM after market one on order. This is getting expensive

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Could be worse.... You could own a 4tec!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    BEFORE you install the new MPEM, you need to determine the reason the 15a fuse is blowing. since it's obviously grounded somewhere, put a meter on the load side of the fuse and measure resistance to ground, it's likely zero ( dead short) there are a number of places you can have a harness problem, but thowing a new mpem in without tracing that fault will make this deal get more expensive in a flash.

Make sure the rear box assembly is perfect, including the sealing gasket. Leaks into that box are very common as the gasket is tricky and lots of skis I get in for electrical have this gasket missing, damaged or improperly installed.

As mentioned 5amp fue pops are common when these mpem go bad. Check the exhaust pipe for leaking water at the welded plugs, it will spray directly onto the mpem most of the time and that's another reason they pop.

+1
    Well you are righter than I. Put a new OEM MPEM and the sucker is still blowing 15As. Haven't gotten to check the 5A up front yet. I know that once I disconnect the harness coming out of the rear electrical box (on top) it doesn't blow the 15A anymore. So not sure what that tells me. I will measure the resistance to ground and starting "climbing" up the harness. It is mostly sealed all the way up front. This is a riddle to be sure. Did I mention I put a new stator in also?
    Last edited by slipnot; 08-12-2013 at 08:15 PM.

+1
    Any particular areas I should start in to analyze the harness problems? I know that if I connect the stator and the MPEM I blow 15A in the rear box. I have checked the wiring very carefully and the rear electrical box to make sure it is correct according to the wiring diagram. Have a new ignition coil in it......thoughts?

Tonight I put the old MPEM back into the machine. Unhooked the stator "harness". Checked three out of the four "wires" in the harness. As I did the starter turned over on the three. Put the new aftermarket MPEM back in and checked the same three "wires" got power but no starter activity at all. Any ideas on that? Reconnected the stator harness and 15A blew on a 10 count.

I am going to repair the old MPEM with a new diode. Does anyone know how to determine which way the diode should be installed? Repaired the old MPEM tried it....nada. Put in the after market MPEM....still blowing 15A fuses....
    Last edited by slipnot; 08-17-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more information

Thread Information