96 polaris sl 700

Hey guys sorry if this has been posted before. I have a 96 sl 700. When i purchased it the guy said it would crank but would barely move in the water. I brought it home and changed the gas and bought new plugs and then it wouldnt start at all. Put the old plugs in and it fired up fine. Then i noticed that he had smashed the plug gap to almost nothing. I did all the ohm test on the stator and they read withing spec and im getting over 10 volts while cranking. It doesnt have the updated ignition system either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    10 volts is not an accurate enough measurement.

At the CDI, you want to see more than 10.6 volts while cranking the engine. That would be measuring from the CDI Red/Purple wire to the CDI Black wire.

Once you are certain the CDI is getting plenty of voltage from the battery while cranking, then move on to more diagnostics. Ohm check the ignition coils.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    10 volts is not an accurate enough measurement.

At the CDI, you want to see more than 10.6 volts while cranking the engine. That would be measuring from the CDI Red/Purple wire to the CDI Black wire.

Once you are certain the CDI is getting plenty of voltage from the battery while cranking, then move on to more diagnostics. Ohm check the ignition coils.
    Sorry i should have been more specific the reading was a little over 11 volts and i did the ohm test on the ignition coils and they were .4

+1
    Are you getting a strong blue/white spark on all spark plugs?

A weak or yellowish spark is not good enough.

the only way i can get any spark is to close the gap on the plugs to almost nothing

+1
    You have already done the basic tests, it seems, yet you have a very weak spark.

Sounds like you need the Ignition Update Kit.

crap! the guy i purchased it from just replace the ignition coil and the cdi with used ones from ebay, the only thing he didnt replace is the stator but all the test on it came back fine. Where is the best place to buy the ignition update and how much does it run?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemanpballer View Post
    crap! the guy i purchased it from just replace the ignition coil and the cdi with used ones from ebay, the only thing he didnt replace is the stator but all the test on it came back fine. Where is the best place to buy the ignition update and how much does it run?
    So you do not know whether the eBay CDI is (or was) any good.

You can try hunting down another used original CDI, and/or perhaps a good original stator.

With the Update Kit at least you know the parts will be good, and of a more reliable design than the originals.

These Ignition Update kits are getting hard to find. See my signature links for a partial list of parts sources.

+1
    What plugs are in it? Are they NGK BPR8ES? What specifically is the gap?

If you're seeing some spark that tells me the CDI and stator are probably ok. I would be looking at the wires and/or possibly the spark plug boots before saying you need an ignition update kit.

Thread Information