1997 Seadoo XP- Wont Start

I'm fairly new to PWCs so bear with me... A friend of mine has a 97 seadoo xp that is currently out of service, he said if i can fix it i can have it. When I plug in the DESS kill switch i do not get 2 beeps. i actually dont hear any. but when i try to start it i can see the gauges move so i know i am getting a little power. the engine makes a small clunking noise when i do hit the electric start button. it has gas and a new battery that is well maintained via trickle charger. The suggestions ive had were the relay switch (which i thought you would here a clicking noise if thats what it is) or the ground may need to be replaced. By the way about three months ago we started it via jump start. thanks ahead of time...

+1
    If you jump start it from a running vehicle you could have possibly fried the mpem. 4 reasons why the ski won't start: bad ground, battery is dead/not enough amp, starter is bad OR starter solenoid. If you have a new battery and are one hundred percent that it is good, then you can void that out. If you can turn the motor over by crossing the starter solenoid (use a screwdriver across the two post), then your starter solenoid is bad. If it doesn't turn over the motor, your starter could be bad. Remember its a 16 year old ski and if it had the original starter well may need a new one. You can take it out and bench test it. Should spin fast when you put it to a battery charger (put your foot on the starter so it doesn't jump around when you do this). 97 xps are notorious for having a bad ground connection since the battery is in the back of the ski and they run that long as cable all the way up to the front. What I did with mine was I ran a second ground to the motor as well to make sure it was grounded. Check that you don't have any corrosion on that cable, usually its at the ends. If all 4 of these are not the reason, you can simply pull the plugs out and make sure the motor turns over. If you take the plugs out and the motor turns over then you have other issue. Hope this helps.

+1
    Oh and if that battery is from walmart toss that thing out and go get you an odyssee dry cell battery.

open up the electrical box and check for corrosion. if ok, then you will see two big red cables bolted to the solenoid, short them together to see if the motor spins if it does your starter is fine your earth is fine your battery is ok. there are other tests with a multimeter that can be done to check the solenoid ans signal from the switch.

+1
    It absolutely has to have a fully charged battery to fire up. My 97 xp dess does not (beep beep) either. (I would like to know what to replace to make it) but it has to have a fully charged good battery to turn over and fire. I might have a draw but I let it sit for a few weeks before I bought a battery tender and it clicked when I tried to start it. It's a fun ride and gets better every time I go out. Thinking about doing upgraded sponsons to increase stability....?

+1
    If you are getting a slightly loud clunk that u can hear and feel its your battery not supplying enough juice to turn over the engine. I went through this recently. Buy a 30-50$ battery tender. It will probably take 2 days to charge it up using one. But if you are feeling and hearing that noise start there.

+1
    And u may have other issues. U just can't jump start a pwc the same as a car or truck...kinda like jumping a Prius with a F550. Or a semi truck with a pick up...something gonna get fried. Just not a good idea...

2000 Sea Doo XP clunks and will not start/turnover

Quote Originally Posted by mueller73 View Post
    I'm fairly new to PWCs so bear with me... A friend of mine has a 97 seadoo xp that is currently out of service, he said if i can fix it i can have it. When I plug in the DESS kill switch i do not get 2 beeps. i actually dont hear any. but when i try to start it i can see the gauges move so i know i am getting a little power. the engine makes a small clunking noise when i do hit the electric start button. it has gas and a new battery that is well maintained via trickle charger. The suggestions ive had were the relay switch (which i thought you would here a clicking noise if thats what it is) or the ground may need to be replaced. By the way about three months ago we started it via jump start. thanks ahead of time...
    +

Thread Information