Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 starter issue

Ok, I've been through everything . Just installed a new motor and took it outside to fire it up for the first time. Fired up after a few cranks and died. Went to restart it and just clicks. Tested starter relay and it's good, was getting 12.5 volts at the starter. So after seeing this I pulled the starter to take a look. I opened up the starter and it was fried!! Pieces everywhere. So I ordered a new starter cheap off of ebay, (ya I know dumb move) anyway I put the new starter in this evening. Well the new starter started a couple of times and then..... Click. So I test again and 12.5 volts at the starter. So I pulled this starter and it too is fried inside. The motor and pump both turn freely and ground connection is good. I guess my question is did I just end up having two bad starters? Or is my problem elsewhere? Don't want to get another starter just to fry it too. Any ideas or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

+1
    Sounds like the overrunning clutch is stuck. The starter is being turned when the engine is running, thus the destroyed starters.

Ultra's don't use a bendix,they have a one way clutch on the engine. Remove the engine end cover, remove the starter. The gear on the engine should rotate freely one way and not the other.its the gear the starter idler gear meshes too.

the gear should rotate counter clockwise freely, but not clockwise

3. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    were the brushes worn down to nothing?..sure sign the clutch is stuck. Another way to check to to pull the plugs and turn the engine by hand, you'll feel the resistance of the starter motor gearing..makes it pretty hard to turn the engine

Pete thanks for the quick reply, I already have the starter removed and on the bench. When I pulled the starter apart this morning the brushes were all still intact. It looks to me like some of the copper windings in the starter motor broke loose. I'm also a little confused on how to diagnose the clutch. With the starter removed the motor turns both directions by hand. Turns easier one way than the other. Are you saying to reinstall the junk starter and see if I get resistance turning the motor one way and not the other? I'm sorry if I'm sounding a little stupid, but is there anyway to diagnose the clutch without pulling the front cover? And will I need to pull the motor to remove the front cover?

+1
    Did you add the engine oil to the front and rear cases after the rebuild? 20 ml rear and 200 ml in the front starter housing.

If not, that could have destroyed the clutch assembly when you started it.

Windings blown out on the starter like tat is a sure sign the starter was being spun by the engine.

You can remove the cover in the ski, but considering the motor mount is part of that cover,its just as easy to pull the engine and check the clutch properly.

Thanks splish splash, yes I did fill the front cover. I had the motor rebuilt by a reputable builder. I guess it's just bad timing for the clutch to go... So going to pull the motor again today and check. So to diagnose the bad clutch if the clutch free spins in both directions then that means its shot? Will I have to go to the dealer to find a replacement clutch?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnelson View Post
    Thanks splish splash, yes I did fill the front cover. I had the motor rebuilt by a reputable builder. I guess it's just bad timing for the clutch to go... So going to pull the motor again today and check. So to diagnose the bad clutch if the clutch free spins in both directions then that means its shot? Will I have to go to the dealer to find a replacement clutch?

As I said, it should freewheel counter clockwise and not clockwise. If its failed its probably not free either way.
    It's the gear with the holes in it.
    you have to remove the cover, the idler gear. And the flywheel. It's behind everything .
    If you don't have a manual, I suggest you get one. It's not a simple fix. Maybe contact the reputable place that rebuild it, see what they can do for you. You have balance shaft gears in there too, they have to be aligned if you tackle this. It's simple to align, just have to remember to do it.

Thanks.... Yes I do have a manual and follow it like religion. I'm gonna dig into this when I get home. Would love to see if the engine rebuilder can do anything for me. Unfortunately the rebuilder is in California and I'm in the Midwest. Looks like I may have to eat the cost of the part if its bad. But from everything I've read and I'm being told it soundsukenthe clutch is toast. At this point I feel like I'm just pulling the motor to confirm this. I will post back later today with my results, who knows may be lucky and it's fine and I just fried two bad starters! Lol ya right. Thanks

Side note, is it possible that the engine rebuilder did something incorrect to get the clutch to fail? I don't want to make accusations if its just coincidence that the clutch went out now. The housing was filled with oil before it was ever fired, just not sure of what he could have done to cause my problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnelson View Post
    Side note, is it possible that the engine rebuilder did something incorrect to get the clutch to fail? I don't want to make accusations if its just coincidence that the clutch went out now. The housing was filled with oil before it was ever fired, just not sure of what he could have done to cause my problem.
    Yea, it is mighty coincidental that the clutch failed right after the rebuild.

i would pull the engine, remove the cover and make sure everything is as the manual says it should be. There are spacers on each side of the clutch gear, the have to be in the right way and they are side specific. If they put them in wrong, it would jam the clutch gear to the crankshaft.

the clutch gear rides on a needle bearing on the crankshaft.

Sucks for sure. Let us know what you find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information