Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04 stx15f stalling

So I bought my 04 stx15f at 45 hours, was only driven about 5 hours per season. It ran fine when I started riding it this season. I went out on the lake during a wind storm with six foot waves and noticed after an hour it was idling rough and hesitating when I would give it gas. I brought it back in and thought it just didn't like the fact I was riding it hard. The next few times out it would hesitate when giving it gas after coming out of a no wake zone but would drive fine when I was full throttle. Now I'm at the point where it only idols fine but as soon as I give it gas it hesitates, hit 7k rpm for a few seconds, stumbles, and then idols rough and sometimes will stall. Out of the water while flushing it, it seems like nothing is wrong with the ski. So I what I've done so far is checked the diagnostics and no codes were found as well as checked the TPS voltage and it checked out fine. Spark plugs looked to be fine. I put ethanol treatment in the tank as well as am now only putting in non ethanol 91 octane fuel. Where should I go from here? I was thinking easy to hard.... Check battery voltage(I don't know how old it is), change plugs, fuel filter, then fuel pump? Any help is greatly appreciated!

+1
    Change the spark plugs. It doesn't matter how they look or that you just changed them last season. Change them...and use anti seize & a torque wrench.
    After that, Sean has a ton of info for ya. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186939

Thanks for the info! I should be changing them this afternoon, the battery checked out fine.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Id guess plugs, fuel pressure or an exhaust leak.

Sean

I just finished the plugs this afternoon and I'm just going to drain the fuel tank. After watching how easily 10% ethanol gas attracts water id feel better knowing its not in my tank. I did just check the exhaust for leaks while I let it run for fifteen minutes and all seems fine there. I hope I can get out tomorrow to see if any of this helped.

Now that I have all the gas out I'm wondering, should I change the fuel filter or just clean it out? If so I have one Kawasaki dealer around me who wont have the part for a week. What nylon style filter from a parts store would fit?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stxx15-f View Post
    Now that I have all the gas out I'm wondering, should I change the fuel filter or just clean it out? If so I have one Kawasaki dealer around me who wont have the part for a week. What nylon style filter from a parts store would fit?
    There are aftermarket conversion numbers for both, but I just clean both of them. The one on the bottom of the fuel pump in the tank, and the black one between the tank and the injector rail. Remove from ski' and several cans of spray carb cleaner does the job for me.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stxx15-f View Post
    Do not use a nylon fuel filter, it will rupture.

Sean

+1
    If you were riding on rough water did you get any water inside the hull? If so there are a few drain caps on the rear, bottom of the airbox, pop them off to make sure water is not inside. This can also contribute to fouled spark plugs.

So being sidetracked for a few weeks with my car and truck and some bad weather I'm finally back to working on the ski. I figured out it was the fuel pump, measured 22 psi so that's not good. I just ordered the Walbro Gss342 from http://www.customcarscentral.com/wbr...u-wrx-sti.html because from what I read it fits. My question is, will this be a plug and play type of deal or am I going to have to splice wires?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information