2001 Virage TX no spark, Help with Checks on CDI Module

Hello,

I have a 2001 Virage TX and I have used the trouble shooting manual. Read post here check out folks with simular issue with no luck. Where I am now is leaning towards the CDI. But I would like to discuss some of the checks I did on the CDI and was wonder if anyone could help verify them for me. My checks are below. Any Help would be great. Once I get this one going I have a 2002 Virage TXI with no spark also. That I will be diving into.

Stator Black to Stator Purple Spec 5.5 Ohms Actual 5.5 Ohms

Other Stator Dynamic Checks

Brown Wire From CDI to Stator Spec 7 to 8 VDC Actual 8 VDC
    Red Purple Wire to CDI Spec ??? Actual 10.8 VDC While Cranking

CDI Box Checks
    Mag Sensor (Red Wire) Spec ??? Actual 6.4 VDC
    Center Sensor (Blue Wire) Spec ??? Actual 6.6 VDC
    PTO Sensor (Green Wire) Spec ??? Actual 6.8 VDC
    Mag Primary Coil (Yellow/Brown) Spec ??? Actual .35 VDC
    Center Primary Coil (Black/Blue) Spec ??? Actual .35 VDC
    PTO Primary Coil (Black / Green) Spec ???? Actual .35 VDC
    Purple Wire From CDI to Stator Spec ???? Actual .-5VDC When hooking meter negitive to black (Ground)

Jumped out MFD and still no spark.
    Bypassed LR and Still no spark

Something else I need to add. I thought I read somewhere if the Black/Yellow Wire from the CDI senses any ground it will not allow it to fire. Well I tested the Black / Yellow wire with everything hooked up and the individual items to Electrical Box Ground. With everything hooked up it has a reading of 72.2 K Ohms to Ground and it looks like the LR Module is the one. But my question is 72.2 K Ohms enough for the CDI Box to sense Ground and not allow firing? Could there be internal grounding in LR Module or CDI Module that would not allow to fire? Test Results below.

Black/Yellow to engine stud everything hooked up Lanyard in. 72.2K Ohms
    Black/Yellow to engine stud everything hooked up Lanyard Out .6 Ohms
    Black/Yellow Lanyard to engine stud Lanyard in .OL
    Black/Yellow Lanyard to engine stud Lanyard in .5 Ohms
    Black/Yellow LR Module to engine stud 74.9K Ohms
    Black/Yellow CDI Module to engine stud 541.9K Ohms

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can bypass the LR-505 module for testing purposes.

+1
    Reading your posts - it looks like you are doing a good job testing.

I would really like to see your cranking voltage on red/pur higher than 10.8 . Especially considering how rare these CDI have become,you should give it plenty of power to try to work.
    Along the same line the 8v on the brown wire is critical and also is at the low end.

The blk/yel wire.
    Disconnect the wire completely,from the CDI for testing. If it does not start-you will not need it. (if somehow it does start,you will need to connect it to shut off the engine)
    I have not seen any spec for what is acceptable on that wire. Some where I read over 100k ohm was considered "open"

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You can bypass the LR-505 module for testing purposes.
    I have tried Bypassing the LR Module and there still was no spark. Would you know what level of voltage one should see on the Primary Side of the Coil coming out of the CDI Box? My readings were all the same but at .35VDC. Also the Purple wires for the Exciter was -.5 VDC would you know what the specs are for this also? What is the purpose of the excite coil in the stator? When I ohm it, it checks out fine. But the voltage is slightly neg. Any help would be great. I wish there was more information on troubleshooting the CDI Module.

Casey Thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly that a reading of less than 100K Ohms on the Blk/Yel might mean the CDI is sensing Ground and not letting the CDI Fire? As for the Brown wire would you have any information on the specs for the voltage? what level should it be at? Also would you have any understanding what or how does the exciter coil work for the CDI? My voltage readings were next to zero and slightly neg. Also any info what the voltage readings should be would be helpful.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Big U View Post
    Casey Thanks for the info. If I understand you correctly that a reading of less than 100K Ohms on the Blk/Yel might mean the CDI is sensing Ground and not letting the CDI Fire? As for the Brown wire would you have any information on the specs for the voltage? what level should it be at? Also would you have any understanding what or how does the exciter coil work for the CDI? My voltage readings were next to zero and slightly neg. Also any info what the voltage readings should be would be helpful.
    Disconnecting the blk/yel CDI wire entirely, will eliminate the possibility.
    Polaris did not give a lot of these specs-at this point they would recommend plugging in a new CDI to test further(Polaris does not sell this CDI anymore-so testing is critical) -but I have some idea of how things work from testing ignition systems.

Not sure what the exciter coil does- Polaris is happy with the ohm test for diag purposes. I have not had a need to test further

You really need to try a stronger battery.
    With a strong battery delivering 11.5 volts cranking- I saw 8.7v on the brown wire and over 8v on the red/green/blue wires. ( I had one not start with high 7v on the brn wire)
    With a working CDI I saw over 100 volts on the coil primary wires-

I strongly believe your battery is weak @10.8v and could be on it's way out

Thread Information