Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ski pole installation and wakeboard rack

Installed a wakeboard pole made by Sea Doo on our 2007 RXT 3 years ago and just added a board rack. I got the pole from a local dealer for about half price since it was their last one. My son wakeboards behind the ski and I slalom. The pole has held up good and has no signs of stress. It also helps when boarding the ski from the rear as well as give the spotter something decent to hold on to. I really like the addition of the pole and use it often.

Installation:
    First checked to make sure the pole would not interfere with anything in the engine compartment and removed the tow hook and disconnected the pulled any hoses out of the way. Removed the grab handles.

As the saying goes "measure twice, cut once". I measured a dozen times.

I used regular masking tape on the area where the hole was to be made so it would stick better and reduce walking of the hole saw on the uneven surface.
    Determined the center line and drew line with a square perpendicular to the rear of the ski.

Took a piece of aluminum angle stock and C clamped it to a square for the next measurement.

Leveled the ski both for and aft, side to side. The drill I used has a bubble on the back to determine perpendicularity while drilling.

The scariest part is drilling a 2" hole in the back of your newly bought ski.

First used a punch at the cross marks and drilled a pilot hole with a small bit, then stepped up to the same size bit as the hole saw guide bit. That way there was no chance of the drill walking. IIRC used a long 2" hole saw bit. Watched the bubble level on the back of the drill to make sure the hole was perpendicular to the ski's deck. The hole size was in the instructions that came with the pole.
    Ran the hole saw backwards to minimize chipping and again watched the bubble very carefully to make sure the drill was perpendicular.

Inserted the pole and anchored it using the upper hardware. It reuses the original tow hook without the backing plate.
    Again used masking tape where the lower bolt holes needed to be drilled and used the bolt holes as a template to mark location. (not shown) Punch, pilot drill then final drill. I believe I just kept the pole installed at that point to guarantee the drilled wouldn't walk. These holes were drilled perpendicular to the mounting plate of the pole (not using the drill bubble).

Then clean up and inspection of the work!

Installed the grab handles. The pole fits real nice in the rear pocket.

The pole is adjustable for different heights.
    1. Below the grab handle for storage
    2. just above the grab handle so a mooring line can be attached or I would pull a tube from this height to minimize the leverage on the pole.
    3. half height
    4. full height. We wakeboard and ski at full height.

Also just added the wakeboard rack. The best price I could find was at Parker Yamaha. http://www.parkeryamaha.com/seadoowa...295500985.aspx
    We were tired of stuffing the wakeboard on the side and wrapping our legs around it with 3 people on the ski.
    Installation was easy and didn't think it was worth a write up. 2 holes need to be drilled and self tapping screws are used.
    Used it to hold the board on our last trip to Tahoe and there was no bouncing at all when the board was strapped in.
    It is easily removed and we only mount it when wakeboarding.

Last edited by Blowout; 08-11-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    Hmm I give you props for taking the time and tackling the project but..... How the hell do you wakeboard behind a
    Ski. Wake skating sure but it's boring without a wake. Buy a wakeboard or inboard ski and load it down with fat sacs. Can only get so high and it limits the tricks behind a ski. If your running a course you can't use a ski as tow rig as you pull it literally from its path. If your just out goofing off then its fine. If your trying to progress to the next level that will hinder you big time

+1
    +1 It would be really hard to wakeboard behind a PWC.

Banned User
    +1
    It's great for wake skating

+1
    Does a pretty good job pulling tubes too, better then boats really.

+1
    It's just for messing around and getting some added pleasure out of the ski. I agree its not a serious wakeboarding setup.

You should see when I slolom ski. It really pulls the ski around. Found the best way to drive is to not correct when the ski gets pulled from a straight line. Just let it happen. It keeps the rope tight and it isn't too bad. Definitely not a boat. We use to pull jet boats all over the place carving turns...imagine what happens to the ski Scared the crap out of the wife when spotted for me Probably should try it with the pole in the lowest position to see if it torques the ski less.

I gotta say the ski pulls much harder getting you up than I remember from the ski boats. Ski boat, full throttle coming out....the PWC maybe half throttle. Thought my arms were going to come off the first time I tried it. hahahaha

7. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Power to weight ratio is why

Now try pulling up 3 barefooters on a ski!

+1
    for sure....

If you could get them up on a set of 2 skis and have them drop, it might work. No boom starts on a PWC

Banned User
    +1
    Yup the old 2 ski bomb out!

+1
    Yeah my neighbors used to use there 2001 GTS to pull skiiers through the slalom course and always wonder how they did it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information