MSX 150 Won't Turn Off

Hello everyone - I'm new to the board and have a question about one of my MSX 150's. I own two of them, and up until today they have been the picture of reliability. I took one of them out with my daughter, and when we pulled up to refuel the motor would not turn off. The kill switch was inop, and pulling the lanyard didn't work. I pulled it back to my slip and disconnected the battery, which killed the motor. Any clue what might be the cause?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PGAWest View Post
    Hello everyone - I'm new to the board and have a question about one of my MSX 150's. I own two of them, and up until today they have been the picture of reliability. I took one of them out with my daughter, and when we pulled up to refuel the motor would not turn off. The kill switch was inop, and pulling the lanyard didn't work. I pulled it back to my slip and disconnected the battery, which killed the motor. Any clue what might be the cause?
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    Great to hear about your pair of MSX 150's providing some enjoyment and thrills. How many hours do you have on them?

Your issue sounds like the dreaded SIFB (System InterFace Box) has gone bad. This is a common electrical "issue" on these Weber engine'd skis. They often prevent proper shutdown... or prevent the system from powering-down (and drains the battery)... or prevent RPMs from going over 3400... or prevent you from being able to start the skis. They are the small square box with the connector in the center... hanging in the wire harness above the battery.

Unfortunately, they are no longer available new from Polaris... and are hard to find on parted-out skis.. and expensive when you do. You might try Randy at WeberPower (dot com) to see what he can do. There is aftermarket replacements being developed... but not sure on their progress.

Cheers!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Both of my skis have about 115 hours. I purchased them several years from an older couple (they were 73 years old at the time) who bought them new in '04. They are as "mint" as one can imagine; not even a dock scratch on either of them.

I will send Randy a note, and also peruse the Internet and see if I can get lucky and fine one. On an unrelated note, I heard the oil filters are also no longer available...so I bought 10 of them when I found some on eBay.

+1
    I am out of stock on the SIFB replacement, but Martos Motorsport has them available.
    We have tons of oil filters thru Weber, but Polaris might be discontinuing them?

Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Weber Guy View Post
    I am out of stock on the SIFB replacement, but Martos Motorsport has them available.
    We have tons of oil filters thru Weber, but Polaris might be discontinuing them?

Thanks,
    Randy
    Thanks for the help, Randy - and the referral to Martos. John at Martos was very helpful and responsive. The SIFB replacement was $299 plus a modest amount for shipping.

As an update to this thread, I purchased the SIFB from Martos, installed and the ski runs like new again. Thanks for the great advice.

Jim

+1
    Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

Make sure you maintain your oil levels by checking them properly. Don't want to overfill them and cause oil ingestion issues.

Premium fuel only... non-ethanol is even better. Mobil1 15w-50 oil only.

Lube your wastegate pivot point (where it comes out of the manifold) to avoid seizure.

May they serve you well!

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Great to hear. Thanks for the update.

Make sure you maintain your oil levels by checking them properly. Don't want to overfill them and cause oil ingestion issues.

Premium fuel only... non-ethanol is even better. Mobil1 15w-50 oil only.

Lube your wastegate pivot point (where it comes out of the manifold) to avoid seizure.

May they serve you well!

Cheers!
    Indeed. See the Weber and MSX sections from my signature links for more info.

Thread Information