MSX 110 read trouble codes without Digital Wrench?

I saw a bunch of older posts about making a custom cable and using a automotive code scanner to read ECU trouble codes without Digital Wrench.
    Any body ever get this to work? Just replaced the turbo on my 2004 MSX110, ran great for one weekend, now I am stuck in LIMP MODE with flashing red light when I try to give it some throttle! Turbo waste gate feels free, I trouble shot the PPU and ETB, seems to be OK.
    Any suggestions where to look next? I have another working 2004 MSX110 boat I can swap parts with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by msx110s View Post
    I saw a bunch of older posts about making a custom cable and using a automotive code scanner to read ECU trouble codes without Digital Wrench.
    Any body ever get this to work? Just replaced the turbo on my 2004 MSX110, ran great for one weekend, now I am stuck in LIMP MODE with flashing red light when I try to give it some throttle! Turbo waste gate feels free, I trouble shot the PPU and ETB, seems to be OK.
    Any suggestions where to look next? I have another working 2004 MSX110 boat I can swap parts with.
    Howdy. There was never any success in making a code reader for the Bosch system on the MSX 110/150. Sadly... Digi-wrench is the only option for that. Even ECU expert Martin at Precision Sports didn't have much luck. He had a prototype reader but it didn't work on the majority of the ECUs he tried... so it was never sold.

As to your problem. What RPMs are you being limited to?

That can help us point to an issue. If 4800... then you're overboosting. So either the wastegate solenoid is causing troubles... or the boost lines are plumbed wrong to the solenoid.... or stuck wastegate (which you checked). If 3400 rpms... then SIFB failing... or stuck in reverse.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply ripcuda. I did a little more trouble shooting on the trailer with the hose flush kit hooked up. Starts and idles just fine with reverse lever on at about 3300-3350 rpms. No trouble lights. When I pull the throttle it tries to rev a little but is restricted by reverse lever on to about 3600 rpms. still no trouble lights. It started pouring down rain and lightening so I had to abort for a while. Any body recomend any checks/tests I can do on the trailer with no Digi-Wrech to narrow down the problem?

+1
    Yeah... running on the trailer isn't going to do it. You're going to need a water test... or at least have the ski in the water still strapped to the trailer. I suspect you have an overboost condition... but you need to be able to go full throttle, under load (meaning in the water), to confirm.

The ECU will reset that limp/trouble code after each restart... but it'll come right back as soon as you trigger it again. When you water test it again... make sure you get the max RPMs and mph you see before the trouble code is flashed. Then, if you trigger the trouble code/limp mode again... get the new max RPMs and mph too to help point to the issue.

Cheers!

Thread Information