2004 RXP oil in hull?

Question.. Yestersday I was running the RXP 215 and all of a sudden it sounded like the driveshaft spun off, the rpms shot up really hit and the ski stopped over and would only move at idle. At that point I was towed back and pulled the seat of... the whole hull was filled with oil. Theres no oil in the motor. The ski starts right up and seems to be running fine but what possibly happen?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the hulk.

sounds like:

stripped driveshaft splines, or broken motor mounts.

when there is a driveshaft isue on a 4-tec, engine oil often leaks out of the pto seal.

You have to pull the charger to inspect that area.

Check the motor mounts first.

Pull the pump and inspect the prop splines

repalce the pump and remove the carbone seal c clip and then pull the driveshaft out of the pto ( after removign the pump again)

get on the search feature here..plenty of threads with pics and procedures for all the above.

dump a bunch of old towels in the hull to soak up the oil, or use an extractor ( which is handy to have since that is also used to change oil on a 4-tec)

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    welcome to the hulk.

sounds like:

stripped driveshaft splines, or broken motor mounts.

when there is a driveshaft isue on a 4-tec, engine oil often leaks out of the pto seal.

You have to pull the charger to inspect that area.

Check the motor mounts first.

Pull the pump and inspect the prop splines

repalce the pump and remove the carbone seal c clip and then pull the driveshaft out of the pto ( after removign the pump again)

get on the search feature here..plenty of threads with pics and procedures for all the above.

dump a bunch of old towels in the hull to soak up the oil, or use an extractor ( which is handy to have since that is also used to change oil on a 4-tec)

I was just about to post again. Two motor mounts are completely shot. Going to be ordering them today. Do I need to order a new seal as well? what do you think

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    good chance of that.

Pull the charger first and inspect the area where the driveshaft connects to the engine. There is a rubber bit that clamps to the rear engine case and to a floating bearing. Lots and lots of discussions on getting that connection to be oil tight.

Depending on where this ski was run, you might need the factory pusher tool to get the c clip off the driveshaft.

time to get a manual in your hands too. You don't want to fudge this particular job.

+1
    Sounds like you ended up getting lucky. Got to love the GH for quickly fixing problems.

+1
    And please don't start it when there's no oil showing on the stick... that's just mean.

7. +1 by:

Thread Information