Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

GTR 215 v. Wake Pro 215 price difference (and other general questions)

Please excuse the new guy if this is not the correct area of the forums for this question!

I have been bouncing back and forth between which watercraft I might want to purchase (my first!). One big question I have is what makes the Wake Pro 215 $2300 more than the GTR 215 (MSRP $13,999 versus $11,699)? I know the Wake Pro has the S3 hull, towing tower, and some extra ride modes. Am I missing something else? The WP215 is $300 more than the RXT 260! Am I overrating horse power? I absolutely love the color scheme of the WP over the GTR, just not sure if I like it THAT much.

That is my main question. While I have a thread going if anyone is really bored or kind enough to answer these it would be greatly appreciated!

1. I am really leaning towards the GTR 215 due to the mid-range price and HP. I have the most experience on an STX-15F. I've been riding that the last 5-6 years (I consider my experience higher than average). The specs say the 15F 160HP which is why I am hesitant on any of the 155 HP Sea-Doos. Am I again overrating horse power?
    2. I rode the WP 155 at a test drive event and one thing I did not like was the grip on the foot wells. It was really slick and there was no texture to it at all. Felt really cheap. Was that because it was a demo? I looked at one hands on at the dealer before I rode so I did not think to check or notice. The RXP I rode had great grip.
    3. This is out of curiosity. Why is Sea-Doo the only PWC with a brake system and reverse located on the handlebars? This has been the main reason I have my sights set on a Sea-Doo.
    4. I would mainly be riding by myself and rarely ever towing. I would probably be considered an aggressive driver. So if anyone else has suggestions on which ski would be right for me feel free to throw them at me (sea-doo or other brand)!
    5. Any other suggestions for me when I walk into the dealership would also be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to being able to joining the community!

+1
    Well, there are a couple of key points here in deciding. The first was how you are going to use it, since you said solo most of the time, seems little bang for the extra little goodies on the Wake model. To me the three biggest deals on the wake model over the other one is the Towing point for your wake boarder, it is high and retractable meaning there when you need it not when you don't. This is about 10" to a foot higher towing point. Not that I am a boarder, but seems the higher point gives a better starting angle for getting up on the board. The next big deal to me is the ski mode. No matter who is driving this, the throttle is engaged and the ski reacts based on a program to accelerate to the proper speed. This, in my opinion reduces both boarder and driver fatigue. The boarded does not get unpredictable starting pull, and the driver does not have to monitor his right finger as much. Being able to carry a wake board is pretty big deal. Unless you have a chase boat, the passenger has to hold on to the board till you get where you are going. Depending on where that is - this can be a chore. Then you have the issue of what to do with it while hanging out at the party cove (I know you will go there at some point). Sure you can put it in the foot well, but when re-boarding your craft, it is going to be in the way. Someone will need to hold it.

On to the next part, price. Is that worth the extra price? The Ski mode - if you are going to use this for towing say 50% of the time, I think it is. If you are going to use it less than that, you might want other options. The Wake model is 10obs heavier - dry. I know this is or should be like nothing, but weight is weight and there will be difference in acceleration and maneuverability between the Wake and GTR. The GTR has more storage capacity, according to the literature seems more sporty (meaning handling to me). If I were choosing between the two and did not have kids or family/friends that were into wake boarding, and I myself was not going to be into it - I think I would chose the GTR.

I have not ridden either model, just going off the comparisons as I too went through this same thought process. In the end, I went a completely different way - GTX iS 215. I love this one, but I cruise more than tear it up, and in open chop - this thing is like a Cadillac (or insert your plushest riding car experience here). It is fast enough, flick-able, and will tow anything without issues. That said, I almost wished I had held out for the iS260 (just because I know it has more power ). I really like the suspension on these skis. I like it way more than I thought I would, and others that have ridden it also like it. It does make turning a little more work, but with some effort and learning on how to do it - you can do just about anything on this ski in terms of quick turns. I think sponsons would help greatly and that is likely to be my first purchase. That said, I bought two skis, both with suspension. The wife's is the 155 model and has the preset (it is adjustable) suspension where mine has the sensor suspension adjustment that I can override manually. I have not overridden it yet, but nice to know I can dial it in. Issues with the suspension model is getting water out of the sub hull. In order for these to have suspension - they have a top deck or hull where you sit and your feet ride and a lower level that is like a regular hull. In-between these is where water will collect at the foot well contour. I use a wet vac, but on the iS models you either have to run the machine and override the iS system to the highest position or snake the hose from the front storage unit (which comes out of the hull). Either way - extra effort. The wife's ski is preset high enough I do not have to do that.

I love my choice - as I am sure you will yours. Only you can decide. The reason I chose the Sea Doo is because of the iBR system - plain and simple. I am new to the sport, maneuvering a water craft is not second nature and I want every advantage I can have. Plus, my wife will need the ease of also maneuvering her craft and I wanted to make a duel purchase at the same time. The iBR system rocks, and I will give up displacement, storage, and HP to have that system every time. Sure, going faster than the next guy is fun. But, speed is money and anything with enough money will out do the next thing without the funds behind it. I liked the yammies, and thought that would be my ski, but I love the iBR and the iS on the see doo and no body else has that.

All this said, the iS boats are going to be tough and much more work to do performance things to due the space you have under the seat access to do anything and the way the lower hull is where all the real goodies are. Looks to me, when I get there I will have to raise the upper deck off completely to add any real fun stuff. Heck I don't even see the air intake, so even that will be chore to change out. But, I will take the extra work for the ride I got.

I guess I was bored enough to answer -

+1
    Gtr is the way to go.
    It's a rock solid ski that's built on a very proven platform.
    It's a bullet proof rocket ship!!!

I've ridden a few and they are light years ahead of the kaw 15f..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Gtr is the way to go.
    It's a rock solid ski that's built on a very proven platform.
    It's a bullet proof rocket ship!!!

I've ridden a few and they are light years ahead of the kaw 15f..
    Funny you called it that. I've said that about my GTR before. Without a doubt it's a rocket ship...with the maneuverability of a UFO.

+1
    Not sure your up to making a drive or not but I have GREAT prices on Sea-Doo PWC until the end of the month. I am in Atlanta but it could be worth your time.

PM me for details

+1
    Thanks for the feedback!

Is there usually a significant price drop on 2013 models once the '14 comes out? I see that Sea-Doo is currently offering a $1,000 rebate, 3 year warranty, and 2.9% financing. Is that usually as good as it gets or will they have better winter sales for during the off-season? Any chance of a color scheme change the next go around?

+1
    The color are always changing.
    The prices are always going up...

That sounds like a pretty good deal, don't know you'll find much better. I own a GTR215 and love it. My fam does a pretty even mix of skiing/tubing/wakeboarding behind it and we just cruise around a lot on it. It was the absolute best match of bang for the buck for us; eco mode, normal, sport... I can ride all day, race, or pull a stump out of the water (me on slalom). GTR vs the Wake models... I'm fairly certain you can add everything the Wake models have to the GTR (with some do-it-yourself willingness) and still be ahead financially... however, you will not have the S3 hull. If you are primarily on smoother water - the GTR is tough to beat.

Yesterday on the lake.. I'm putzn on my msx
    new gtr riding around smoothly, Tom comes out with his 11hr rxpx260
    (it's the black one with green trim)

Sure enough.. we're all Screaming across the lake..

I watched this gtr take off from idle.. Side by Side with the 260
    only Top End did the 260 just Start to slooowly pull away..

Tom all P.O.'d goes and grabs his other one.. he bought twins..
    Same damn thing..

I am Truly impressed with this gtr sea doo
    14hrs on the gtr both bone stock..

Shoot thinken about dumpin my msx150 and headin to a dealer..

+1
    Have this offer on the table. How desperate will they be to get rid of 2013 models once the '14 models are announced? That is my main conflict right now since the season is coming to a close. I know the rebate they are giving is a SeaDoo promotion that is valid through the 30th of September. The offer is $794 off the MSRP, then Sea-Doo's $1,000 rebate.

GTR 215
    $10,905 - $1,000 rebate

$9,905
    $678 tax and registration
    $175 cover (Is the Sea Doo cover worth that or can someone recommend a nice alternative?)
    3 year warranty included
    = $10,758 out the door (Will add the rest of the extended warranty)

$851 for a Sea Doo brand trailer (Waiting to hear back which model, I personally need to research trailers more)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information