Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Check your axle recently?

So yesterday coming home from a wonderful day on the water, I sped over a dip in the road perhaps a bit too fast; up went the ski trailer and all, no more than a foot or two in the air, and down it came followed by a very suspecious scrap scrap scrap noise. Upon inspection, it appears that when the ski came down, the spring on the trailer did not "pop" it back up; down it stayed with fender snug up against the tire on the right side of the trailer. Of course lacking the foresight to bring tools of any kind with me, I stood along the side of the road like an idiot until some 20 something year old in a shiny BMW took mercy on this old guy, became the good samaritan and removed the offending fender. I drove home VERY slowly. This morning I did an inspection. The trailer is a 2011 Karavan with torsian axle. OMG... I am not sure if what I did was the death nail, the final blow in an ongoing process that destroyed the brackets that attach the axle to the frame of the trailer, or if everything was fine until this moment, however i suspect that it has been an ongoiung process and that my "dip" yesterday was what "broke the cammels back." I'm including some pictures. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120036.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	310121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120041.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	310122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120038.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	310123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8120039.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	310124

+1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which model of Karavan trailer is this?

What is the weight rating of the trailer, and the weight of the loaded PWC?

Not sure of the model, however as far as I know, there is only one Karavan model with torsian axle. As far as weight limits and all that stuff, I know it was all within limits by a safe margin. Now I will admit, perhaps my style of driving was not exactly conducive to trailer longevity. However after this experience, I will be more aware of speed and road conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    Now I will admit, perhaps my style of driving was not exactly conducive to trailer longevity.

I'd say so. If the ski and trailer bounced a foot into the air, I'd say you need to be much more aware. I wonder what the hull of the ski looks like. OUCH

+1
    That route 9 eats trailers.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    Not sure of the model, however as far as I know, there is only one Karavan model with torsian axle. As far as weight limits and all that stuff, I know it was all within limits by a safe margin. Now I will admit, perhaps my style of driving was not exactly conducive to trailer longevity. However after this experience, I will be more aware of speed and road conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    That route 9 eats trailers.
    Perhaps now is the time to install an upgraded torsion axle. Not to boost the weight capacity of the trailer, but to increase the abuse capacity of the trailer.

Inspect the trailer frame rails where the axle attaches. Make sure the frame is not fatigued or developing cracks.

You might want to have reinforcements added to the frame rails to spread out the stress from the axle. As you can see from the failure area on the axle bracket, a torsion axle creates a twisting stress where it attaches to the trailer frame. My triton Elite with torsion axle has a long C shaped reinforcing section overlaid on the frame rails above the axle mounts.

look at the crack close if its all shiny it split right away if its darker and dirty towards the edge its been growing for a while.

+1
    You might want to slow down a tad or next you will be replacing a broken ski. My god who launches their trailer 1-2ft in the air whilst towing your pride and joy lol

+1
    Karavan makes good trailers but Triton makes Great trailers..
    I've got the Triton wcII torsion axel and 14 inch tires.
    I put 20k miles a year on it buying and selling skis.
    If you want a trailer you can't break get a triton.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information