Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Runs WAO all the time, Genesis FFI

The ski is a 2001 Genesis FFI and it starts right up and instantly runs at 8000 rpm or Wide A** Open. I obviously shut it off immediately in order not to overheat or damage. I have checked the obvious throttle cables hanging or sticky. Cables work fine. I took off the breather and looked down the throttle body and the cable appears to be operating the butterfly valves just fine. I have searched this site and looked at the Polaris Manual and have found no clue on where to work. Wondering if the EMM would cause this ? any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Disconnect the TPS wire harness connector at the rear end of the throttle bodies. See if it still revs to the moon.

If yes, put it into reverse, which should bring the RPM down to 3500.

Report back.

Yes, Kevin as you suspected, once the TPS was unplugged the PWC returned to normal IDLE. When I plugged the TPS back in, it then did the same thing FULL THROTTLE. I did not try the reverse as it appeared removing the TPS was key. So guess I should order a TPS, to which I have no reference in my service manual. What are your thoughts?

+1
    See my signature links for TPS part numbers.

2001 uses the non-pigtail TPS, as I recall.

Check that the TPS arm and spring were correctly positioned. It is important that the TPS arm be properly located against the tab on the throttle body shaft.

There is also a small plastic nub on the TPS arm which sometimes falls off.

ok, thanks I have ordered the TPS $91 from spencerport NY, Precision Power Source. I will report back once installed. Thanks for you help. Larry

Yes, the PWC does use the NON PIGTAIL TPS and that in itself is more problem. Appears teh Non pigtail version is not availabe adn Precision Power Source has tried to get them. I have one option according to PPS. Rig the pig tail version to work with the PWC or send it back for a refund and then scrap teh PWC. My question now, is what will I need to do to rig the pig tail version of teh TPS to work with the 2000/2001 Polaris? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GASTON MANIA View Post
    Yes, the PWC does use the NON PIGTAIL TPS and that in itself is more problem. Appears teh Non pigtail version is not availabe adn Precision Power Source has tried to get them. I have one option according to PPS. Rig the pig tail version to work with the PWC or send it back for a refund and then scrap teh PWC. My question now, is what will I need to do to rig the pig tail version of teh TPS to work with the 2000/2001 Polaris? Thanks
    Member GhostInstallations has reported that the throttle body shaft on the non-pigtail machines can be changed to accept the pigtail TPS. I do not have a non-pigtail throttle body handy to verify.

Search for his recent posts in this regard.

Remove the small lever arm from the end of the throttle shaft. This should expose a metal shaft end with flats that should then mate with the plastic shaft socket on the TPS itself.

Be sure to get the round tension spring correctly installed.

I got a used known good Non pigtail TPS and put it in the ski and no luck, same results runs wide open throttle when TPS plugged in and idles normal when TPS not plugged in.
    Wondering where to look next shall I blindly order the EMM, which I wonder if that part is available too. Any additional ideas greatly appreciated. Larry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GASTON MANIA View Post
    I got a used known good Non pigtail TPS and put it in the ski and no luck, same results runs wide open throttle when TPS plugged in and idles normal when TPS not plugged in.
    Wondering where to look next shall I blindly order the EMM, which I wonder if that part is available too. Any additional ideas greatly appreciated. Larry
    Just a thought. Check that you are plugging the wire harness connector into the TPS the right way around. There should be a little plastic tab on the TPS.

On the genuine Polaris part, that tab forces the connector to go on the correct way.

I seem to recall (fuzzy memory, but I think it is in the notes somewhere) that the non-Polaris TPS (of the non-pigtail type) had the connector polarity reversed. So to get it to work the indexing tab on the connector needed to be ignored, and effectively the connector gets inserted 'backwards'.

your kidding right,, i will go back and give it a try, got nothing to loose, I did a psuedo search on the forum and found nothing, that is the craziest thing I have ever heard but at this point it does seem like a chinese finger puzzle. thanks again,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information