Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Yamaha Waveraider 1100. my 1st PWC.

So, I always wanted a PWC, rented a few, etc. Seemed cheap enough so I searched, researched & bought a 1996 Waveraider 1100 last wkend. Took the NY Boating Safety class(required).
    It has 88hrs it currently in the water/being used. No issues, fairly goos shape from what I can tell. (I'm a car guy, VW in particular) Ski's & water rides are a whole new ball of wax to me.

It's been pouring rain since I bought it, hopefully tmrw I can get out & ride. I'm in Long Island, NY & on the South Shore. It will be salt water/Bay use.

Right now I have a floating dock @ a local marina till the end of the season, I still have to find a trailer . Also waiting on some vests, etc.

From what I've read these are pretty darn quick but like muscle cars dont turn very well. PO hasnt had it long & 'upgraded' to a boat so I dont know a lot about it.

88hrs
    converted to pre-mix
    new plugs this season
    new seat cover
    custom saddle bags(very limited storage)
    depth finder (guess he fished off it)
    bilge pump
    front 'sponsons'

*** Anyone else add these? are there different types like the rear or are these a bit more universal?

Has a SOLAS sticker on it, I'm not sure but I guess that might be a prop ?

It's been ridden often, always gets flushed out. But I've seen a few vids on youtube that people 'wash' the engines every time & then coat. It this proper? He said he
    doesn't, it is coated w/ Fluid Film tho. (WD-40 isnt so great I've read)

He mixed @ 40:1
    Is this the most ideal? I've read people also doing 30:1

If available, do you guys recommend higher octane91/93 vs 87? or complete waste of money..

Anything I should know right of the bat? Ski's in general or this ski?
    Thx

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.PNG 
Views:	2423 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	310213  

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.PNG 
Views:	2423 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	310213

Smile

Congratulations!!! This model was my first ski too. I remember that it was fast, fun, relatively low trouble. What I remember most is that this ski was balanced incredibly well for wave jumping. I'm talking about ocean waves - the big ones!!! It took off like a rocket ship and landed smoothly every time. It did not drop the back end like so many do now. It was like motocross on water. It started a fever with me that led to an Ultra 150 and then a GPRXP. So be prepared to want more!

I cannot remember what gas I used. Mine was not premix so I have no idea what ratio to use. I dont know what a front sponson is. It sounds dangerous to me. Be careful with it or remove it. This ski will toss you off at speed if you are not careful.

The major problems I had were pump bearing failure and carb diaphram. If you are in a salt environment then you will have these issues and more. But, this is not an expensive ski so it is a good one for salt. Remember to flush out every time and wash the engine occasionally. Use fluid film on everything.

You can download shop manuals for this ski for free. Just google it. Read all that you can on Greenhulk. You will find lots of great information here.

Name:	P1010027.jpg 
Views:	2820 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	310214

my friend has a wave venture 1100, same motor....Make sure that you run the pre-mix 44:1...best for these. also, make sure you leave the fuel switch off when not in use...otherwise, the fuel pump will crap out.

Pretty great ski, as long as you maintain it, all will be well. use regular fuel, no problem there.

Make sure to flush out the engine after use.

ALWAYS START SKI BEFORE TURNING ON WATER!!!! then after a 30 second flush, shut water off and run for 10 seconds and shut off. WD 40 protects well metals under seat.

+1
    Thx guys. I took it out for my first time today. Basically about 3 hrs all along the south shore area of Long Island NY(Jones beach, Merrick bay, lots of channels, islands, etc). Not knowing anything about the water or this area(I do have a map), I started off w/ getting 5.5gal of 87 & mixed 50:1 w/ some Yamalube the PO gave me. When I returned it was about where I started, man this thing is thirsty.

I was reading 40:1 if modded, 50:1 if stock. Well, it has a sticker on it for some type of Reeds, a Solas sticker & another one. I dont remember what they were but today was more about getting out there, riding it & getting a feel for the ski & knowing where the fuel docks are.

Well, it runs great! it's got a lot of torque & being my 1st time out, I backed off @ 58mph. I know that is an exaggerated reading a bit. I also ran onto some shallow water 2x where I had to push back a few feet & change direction. It revved but had no movement so I then cleaned it out (grate & prop)....whoops, rookie mistake, lol.

It's def. the oldest ski @ my marina but hell it's still fun. Not sure how fast the new 'boats' go but 60 is plenty quick on bays/ocean for me & for how much I spent.

I ended up getting a NOS owners manual on fleabay, it should be here soon.
    I like the idea of 44 or 45:1 mix. right in the middle, that works for me.
    I did shut the fuel switch OFF when i finished, I dont think the PO did that.

It's got a bilge pump, I def need it. I pumped out some b4 I rode it , during(when I stopped) & about 1/2 gal when I docked it. I guess thats normal?

I got the run down on the flushing & read about it too, Thx.
    I parked it up on the floating dock, ran it dry 15-20 sec w/ a few blips & then did the water flush out for about 20-30secs. Then I ran that fresh water out/ a few blips for another 15-20 secs. till dry. Then basically did a quick 'body' wash & ran the bilge again.

Right now I have Fluid Film & the engine is coated pretty well. I've seen on youtube that some guys basically wash down the entire engine after every wash, then re-coat. I was told not to do it that often. I also see a ton of wires in there, everywhere. I will def clean that up some zip ties. (factory harness, Depth finder battery pack, bilge pump wires etc.)

How often do you recommend washing the complete engine down?
    The marina owner is a pretty cool guy, he was telling me I should just put a main battery kill sw. in so nothing drains the battery. sounds easy enough & a good idea.

I'll get some pics up asap.
    Last edited by RaiderMagic; 08-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.

+1
    TedCfitz, your ski looks brand new! thats amazing. I wish mine wasnt so faded. I need to buy a cover asap.

Today I ran it around for another 2hrs today. Beginning to really hate these 5mph wake zones. It seems half of the riding is time spent just getting to open water.

Lack of time wont be the killer of this machine, it will be fuel costs. ouch! another $41 today. It's so thirsty I feel as if I cant actually travel too far from my marina or I'll be on the reserve heading back.

Today I mixed the last of my yamalube 45:1.
    So I need to pick up some more oil this wkend, How does everyone feel about the West marine house brand oil? It's currently on sale @ a good price. I'm sure it's a rebottled brand name but what? Pennzoil? At the rate of nearly a 1qt. a day I could stand to save a few bucks.

To me it seems to take on water. The bilge pumps a lot out when Im done riding, sometimes I'll even try to piss some water if i've stopped or after fueling. Is this pretty common?

So far I really like it but my wife(who doesnt favor the ocean so much) hasnt been on it & isnt so excited to go lol. next weekend

I received my Owner's Manual today today, just read cover to cover. Def worth the $20 for the wiring harness, lube points, clockwise rotation info & a lot more.

+1

Name:	picstitch.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	310618took it out for another 3+ hrs today. Getting used to where I can ride but did run a ground 2x. (*thats not a short cut, & Really, 1ft of water in the middle of the inlet? )
    It seemed I was all over today, full throttle, jumping waves, wakes, etc & the gas barely moved all day. I was beginning to think it broke. Fueled up w/ 5.8gal & rode another hr or so.
    I ran out of Yamalube the other day so I stopped by PepBoys this morning and grabbed some Peak TW3C 2 stroke oil. I used it during my top off today, mixed ~45:1. It was cheap & convenient, not sure if its any good but a gal was like $14 IIRC.
    It seems that idling around uses as much, if not more fuel than going 20-40mph...makes no sense.

Noticed my bilge pump popped off its bracket when I parked her. probably from all the landings I guess. Just snapped back in. I also flushed the engine bay down some when I was done.

Here is a pic of the ski & the front sponsons. Looks like a Boyesen Reeds sticker, hopefully some work was done.
    I kinda went flat out a few times today, it seemed top speed was 58mph no matter where the trim was aimed.
    I also noticed the turning seems to be sharper/more of it on the right side but than the left? it tracks straight, bars clock both directions equally so I am confused. Tried circles & turns a few times to confirm this? what gives?

Do people name the ski like b oat owner's do? :P

+1
    here is some links on the Peak Performance 2 cycle TC-W3 oil from Pepboys.
    http://images.peakauto.com/2_Cycle_E...il_NO_INDY.pdf
    http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/565178/00283/

+1
    picked up an aluminum trailer yesterday. It's in great shape. Now I have a way to get my ski out of the marina at the end of the season.
    fresh springs & bearing buddies. just gotta get a smaller tongue for my 1 7/8" ball.
    So far the gear is almost costing as much as I paid for the ski. (wet suit, life vests, VHF radio, trailer, etc )
    tmrrw. will be the 6th day of riding in just under 2 weeks. not too shabby

+1
    I've got a question I'll try to get an answer here 1st.

There is a blue line that routes from the water separator to? IDK
    Near the cover hinge there is a plastic vacuum tube that has a 4-6" hose to the fuel-water separator, then the separator has a 2ft. hose tha goes no where. I have a feeling it came loose from somewhere.
    It was routed under the tank towards the front of the motor.

The top of the fuel tank has a 'check valve' coming off it. I'm not sure it its just a 1 way vent valve or if this separator line attached to it?

Anyone?

thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information