Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dealer changing the SC clutch - What washers?

Hi all. I've read plenty here and I must say, I really respect the inteligence of people here over other places!

Our '04 RXP is getting the SC clutch done under the BRP warranty. I'm told they have some type of improved kit, which has resolved the problem, yet I've read here that the metal washers should be used. I tend to believe people here over the dealer and I'm wondering if BRP really has resolved the issue to anyone's knowledge? And, if not, do you think if I bought the washers here, the mechanic would use them for the repair. (I know the guy doing the work and could slip him a few bucks to use them.)

Thanks for your input!

DEFINATELY get the metal washers sold on here by Jerry and have them installed.

It's just not worth the chance of eating a washer. Get Jerry's metal washers

+1
    DO IT!!! Im not aware that SD has addressed this problem & most likely would rebuild it with same POS ceramics.

They are installing an updated shaft kit which comes standard on 06 and newer skis. That kit still consists of ceramic washers. It would be a good idea to instal metal with the new kit. If you know the guy doing it, all the better!

Thanks for the input.

I called the guy doing the work (I know him pretty well), and he said it was aleady done. It was a shaft kit, and he said it did have ceramic.

When I asked him about using metal washers, here's what he said: He's done dozens of SC rebuilds in the last few years, including 05 and 06 models. So far, none of the rebuilds using this latest kit have come back, still a wait and see. He did say this latest fix does have "much harder" washers unlike the older one's.

He'll use the metal one's, but would charge me less to come to our shop. My fault for not looking into this sooner. In his opinion, since it's already done courtesy of BRP, get the washers and the minute it looses any rpm someday, swap them out then. That 95% of the tear downs, they were intact and changing out a motor because of it was rare.

Also, a big concern should be getting 100 hours on the engine before the warranty is over because they had several engines have a valve break, destroying the engine. The supplier can't track them, so luck of the draw. All of them happened at 85 hours. Just an FYI

I think I'll get some washers and have him put them in during rainy season.

Thanks!

Dont judge me...
    tell the guy you want to have the washers in now!!! there have been cases of them going bad under 15 hrs.... if he want get the SC out and send it to Jerry I am sure he will put them in for you...

+1
    ditto ......don't wait too long

Quote Originally Posted by YJSONLY View Post
    tell the guy you want to have the washers in now!!! there have been cases of them going bad under 15 hrs.... if he want get the SC out and send it to Jerry I am sure he will put them in for you...

+1
    I have an `05 RXP. My second set of `06 washers lasted 4 hours before flying off! Remember, grandma is slow,,but she is old.

What's a fair price labor wise, for swaping them out?

I'll have to get him to do it at our shop because it's ready for pick up and if they see him pulling it out again, it would be a problem.

I can understand the metal one's cant fly apart, anyone know how long they last?

One last thing, He told me if we put a blow off kit on, it's easier on the SC but it makes a noise every time it releaves back pressure. What do you guys think about them?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information