Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post 1999 SLTX 1050 top end bog issue

I had my mechanic take the carbs apart, clean, set pop off pressure at 18 psi. He adjusted to factory specs, and made sure they are dead on. He checked the reeds and they were perfect. He cleaned the screens in the fuel pump, checked the lines at the fuel shut off valve, took the fuel sending unit out of the tank and made sure there was good fuel flow to the carbs. Compression is 120 in each cylinder.

He ohmed out the stator and it is reading correctly. He unplugged the gray limp home wire on the CDI and it is still bogging at 39 mph.

He also cleaned and gapped each plug. All three have good, blue spark.

He believes the CDI is not working properly and it is retarding the timing causing one cylinder to lose spark at 5000 RPM's.

My next plan was to try a tested CDI and see if that does it. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

The boat does not have the updated stator and CDI, still using the factory one.

Thanks!
    Last edited by K447; 08-14-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rrendl10 View Post
    I had my mechanic take the carbs apart, clean, set pop off pressure at 18 psi. He adjusted to factory specs, and made sure they are dead on. He checked the reeds and they were perfect. He cleaned the screens in the fuel pump, checked the lines at the fuel shut off valve, took the fuel sending unit out of the tank and made sure there was good fuel flow to the carbs. Compression is 120 in each cylinder. He ohmed out the stator and it is reading correctly. He unplugged the gray limp home wire on the CDI and it is still bogging at 39 mph. He also cleaned and gapped each plug. All three have good, blue spark.

He believes the CDI is not working properly and it is retarding the timing causing one cylinder to lose spark at 5000 RPM's. My next plan was to try a tested CDI and see if that does it. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. The boat does not have the updated stator and CDI, still using the factory one.
    Thanks!
    Sounds like it is ignition; either the old stator, the old CDI, or both.

I found an stator/CDI upgrade kit. I am going to try and replace those and see if that fixes the problem. If anyone has pointers on the upgrade installation, I would appreciate it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I found an stator/CDI upgrade kit. I am going to try and replace those and see if that fixes the problem. If anyone has pointers on the upgrade installation, I would appreciate it.
    Which kit part number are you getting?

+1
    I had my mechanic take the carbs apart, clean, set pop off pressure at 18 psi. He adjusted to factory specs, and made sure they are dead on. He checked the reeds and they were perfect. He cleaned the screens in the fuel pump, checked the lines at the fuel shut off valve, took the fuel sending unit out of the tank and made sure there was good fuel flow to the carbs. Compression is 120 in each cylinder. He ohmed out the stator and it is reading correctly. He unplugged the gray limp home wire on the CDI and it is still bogging at 39 mph. He also cleaned and gapped each plug. All three have good, blue spark. He believes the CDI is not working properly and it is retarding the timing causing one cylinder to lose spark at 5000 RPM's. My next plan was to try a tested CDI and see if that does it. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. The boat does not have the updated stator and CDI, still using the factory one.
    Thanks!
    The SLTH is a 2 cylinder.
    Original 99 1050 CDI "limp" wire should be Tan. The updated was grey. What CDI part # do you have ?

For a miss fire, I would be testing the coil and plug wires very closely.

The part number I have for the stator and CDI upgrade kit is 2873091. If I can fix the ignition problem without going through expense of replacing the stator and CDI, I would like to avoid it. We checked the spark and it seemed to be fine. I was told there is a limp mode wire in the front box as well. Is it tan also?

I called Polaris, gave them the VIN and they said there was not a recall or bulletin for a stator/CDI upgrade on this boat. Only a tail cone seal and a hose restriction issue. The wires going from the stator to the CDI are very small which indicates it could need an upgrade. I will check my existing CDI number tonight and post it.

Thanks!

Correction: I have a 1999 SLTX 1050 Red Motor, not an SLTH.

+1
    is the motor fluttering and u can hear it cutting in and out , or are u giving it more gas and its not going any faster or climbing in rpm's ? u could have a worn out jet pump bad stator worn impeller,

if u have all the old grey fuel line get rid of it asap , make sure u do a full carb rebuild after and make sure the metal fuel screens are super clean , and install new oil lines to , use only ngk bpr8es plugs or what ever the # is, lol

Carbs were rebuilt, pop off pressures were set, screens were cleaned, gray lines were replaced. BPR8ES plugs are new. Stator was tested and ohmed out at the proper settings. The jet pump is good. It might have the original oil lines, but the carbs are getting the correct mixture. It will run pretty well up to 40MPH. After that, the engine sputters or bogs. I believe it is spark related.

I was going to try a known good CDI and see it that helps. Is the limp home wire gray or tan if I have the original CDI and stator. I might unplug that to see if I'm getting a false code (fuel low, oil low, or high temp reading). I really don't want to upgrade the stator/CDI because of all the labor involved.

I will recheck the plug wires and coil to see if there is a problem with that. Any other suggestions. My boat looks identical to the photo for user "1999-SLTX."

+1
    if your MFD is not flashing red in the middle top then no codes are stopping the ski , I had same problem would only do 34mph, rebuilt my jet pump impeller refinished and rebuilt carbs and it does 50 now,,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information