Waverunner3 electrical issues

Hi everyone, I need the advice of an electrical guru...I'm working on this 91 waverunner 650 6m6. It got some electrical issues...I put the battery in it, smoked the fuse right away. Started disconnecting things, figured out that if I left the rectifier disconnected the fuse wouldn't blow. The starter switch didn't work. Un plugged and jumped it still didn't work..jumped the solenoid and got a weak spark . Tried to fire it up a few times, lost spark. Did I smoke the cdi? Anyone have one for sale? Will the rectifier from a wavejammer work?

+1
    let me help best i can. the wavejammer parts wont work as resistance is different. there are multiple charge coils on that, that give signals to the cdi. test resistance in ohms for each. then tell me which is wrong in the readings. (or post them here)

if you lost spark the cdi may be gone. an aftermarket one can be bought from ebay. search YA275 CDI. its a aftermarket brand one i run and like. i worked it to run my 500CC. if the fuse is blowing, its bleeding to ground.

bench test your starter relay (touch the wires to pos and neg on a battery in correct spot, you should get a "click" and the relay will jump like a jumping bean.

clean the ground from the battery to motor. jumping the relay for the starter is direct power from battery to starter, the spark should be a good sized one.

go from there, use this sheet below and let me know how things go!. (note, your specs are on the right. the left side is a wr500/wj500

Thanks for the help, I found a parts ski, swapped in the whole box, I'm good!

+1
    that works!

Thread Information