Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

First seadoo... already to slow... needs upgrades please help

My name is Brian this is my first jet ski. I purchased a 2012 rxt 260 as with 14 hours on it. I put the ski in the water, to my luck the one ibr linkage was broken from me putting ski in reverse or previous owner. Long story short the linkage jammed throwing a ibr code and engine code. Pulled the ski got the part from the dealer and put it on myself because they said warranty would not cover it and wanted an arm and a leg to replace. I have 1 year left on B.E.S.T. so had the dealer run through the 10 hour service which was ridiculous for $190. Ski runs good I can get up to only 66 mph and now how 21 hours on the ski. I am concerned there is something wrong with the ski not being able to get to 68 mph. When I give the ski full throttle I get full boost then it backs off one bar. I have a few questions

1. When do you recommend changing the oil? Do you recommend running amsoil? if so marine one or motorcycle that fits seadoo's requirements for oil so warranty is not void?

2. How and when do you check supercharger slip? could this be my problem?

3. What skis are affected with the defective intercoolers? any way to tell?

4. It looks like there are a few small dings on the impeller ski still runs smooth. Could this be the problem with not reaching 68? would you replace the impeller what pitch would you recommend? would you replace wear ring too?

5. Is it worth it to buy extended B.E.S.T warranty? What will void the warranty?

6. What are the best performance parts, bang for your buck?

Thanks in advance, I am happy to be part of this great forum.

+1

Cool

Welcome aboard the Hulk!!!
    I change oil every 50 hours. Seadoo recommends every 100 hrs.
    I use Valveoline 10/40 motorcycle oil wet clutch formula.
    I've changed oil in 200+ skis with this oil and have no issues.
    I check the s/c slip every 25 hrs. Your on a suspension ski and that's a bitch to work on. The top deck is no fun when taking it off. I had the 09 gtx I S 255.
    The dings on the impeller will affect performance.
    How does your wear ring look??

Suspension skis are 150-200lbs heavier than other 260s and when modding it your not going to get the same results...There are members who have done mods with good results but a lot of hard work to do it. Unsane is a member who has modded his I S ski.

Yes you want the max warranty because these skis are not cheap when they break.

You might be losing a little speed and rpms due to heat soak. When skis are run in hot water and hot air you loose some top end speed and rpms.

Are you checking your speed with a hand held gps or the dream-ometer on the ski?

+1
    2011 and 2012 260's are the skis with the crap ic's..

Yet another reason to get the max warranty..

My suggestion is get the warranty and ride it like you stole it....

Thanks for the quick reply and info.
    I will look at the wear ring good this weekend from underneath.
    It has been 70 to 80 when I have been riding. Water temp is right at 75-77 engine is right at 190 rpms stay at 8100
    I am using the dream-ometer on the ski... I thought they were accurate with gps for compass?

Any good places to get a cheaper shop manual or dealers that have good prices on extended B.E.S.T. warranty?

+1
    With cooler waters your riding in I don't think its heat soaked.
    Probably the dings in your impeller.
    The newer skis dream-ometers are closer than older skis but not perfect.
    Usually 2-3mph off..

+1
    Give your ski a stripper name. That way you can say you're guna go ride "destiny" and get weird looks from people

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxtas260 View Post
    My name is Brian this is my first jet ski. I purchased a 2012 rxt 260 as with 14 hours on it. I put the ski in the water, to my luck the one ibr linkage was broken from me putting ski in reverse or previous owner. Long story short the linkage jammed throwing a ibr code and engine code. Pulled the ski got the part from the dealer and put it on myself because they said warranty would not cover it and wanted an arm and a leg to replace. I have 1 year left on B.E.S.T. so had the dealer run through the 10 hour service which was ridiculous for $190. Ski runs good I can get up to only 66 mph and now how 21 hours on the ski. I am concerned there is something wrong with the ski not being able to get to 68 mph. When I give the ski full throttle I get full boost then it backs off one bar. I have a few questions

1. When do you recommend changing the oil? Do you recommend running amsoil? if so marine one or motorcycle that fits seadoo's requirements for oil so warranty is not void? I change mine every spring using Amsoil WCF 10-40

2. How and when do you check supercharger slip? could this be my problem? 2-3 times per year, yes

3. What skis are affected with the defective intercoolers? any way to tell? YOURS, run ski on the hose, pull the IC to TB hose off rev it up and see if it pisses water at you, if so there is your problem

4. It looks like there are a few small dings on the impeller ski still runs smooth. Could this be the problem with not reaching 68? would you replace the impeller what pitch would you recommend? would you replace wear ring too? Yes, Solas 15/21 if keeping stock with mods use a 15/20

5. Is it worth it to buy extended B.E.S.T warranty? What will void the warranty? Depends. Depends on your dealer....some get pissed if you mod anything, others don't care but won't warrant what you change if it caused the problem. If you can wrench most things your self, save the money, if not and it makes you feel better go for it. Just realize the BEST warrant is very limited.....just read it.

6. What are the best performance parts, bang for your buck? 4" air intake, R&D grate, Solas impeller, bilge pumps. Get a Shop Manual!!!!

Thanks in advance, I am happy to be part of this great forum.
    just saying

+1
    +1 on Bilge pump.

+1
    why did you leave out a ecu reflash?
    its the cheapest way to get past 70mph limiters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information