2 questions regarding my 2011 vxr

Ok so I'm a recent buyer of a 2011 vxr. I know you are not supposed to jump waves especially on the new 4 stroke ones, but sometimes on Lake Erie, you have no choice. There is times where I just can't avoid hitting waves and getting some air, even if I'm not going that fast. When I'm getting up and coming down and smacking the water, it just doesn't feel good. I just don't know if its made to take that.

I just want to know if I'm in for a lot of problems down the road if I'm gonna be riding in that rougher water, and if I should just try to go out when it's flat. I plan on having this ski for a long time and I want it to be problem free for me. So I'm just trying to get answers from you guys who know a lot about this stuff.

The other question I have is that it was recommended to another vxr owner that he buy this mod:http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1712

Is this something I should buy? Would I need to buy any other parts to go with it or is it a basic take off and replace type of thing?

I know nothing about modding as this would be my first time. I just want to get the parts that will help my vxr run at its best!

Thanks so much in advance!

Any person that thinks or says "jumping your 4 stroke is a bad idea" is an idiot. Tear it up and jump as many waves as you can. The more you jump, the better you will get at it. Remember, hit the wave dead on.

The ribbon delete with that part in the link is the first and only mod I have done to my 12 VXS. I felt the hole shot improvement right away. It is well worth the $50 and a couple hours of your time. Jarrett has excellent commentary on this mod.

I also ride the western end of Lake Erie every weekend and live for small craft advisory days and Noreasters so I can jump rollers. And I smack the hull. Two seasons now and no loose bolts or broken latches like on my last Sea Doo. The smacking happens mostly with a full tank because I can't pull back the handlebars as well with it half-empty. On a VXR hull which is relatively flat and long, you are going to get this. If you haven't noticed already, smacking your hull has a lot to do with the spacing of the waves and your ability to pull back on the ski, putting your weight towards the back, stance, and driving the deck forward with your knees after topping the wave. Keep practicing and you will be able to tip-in the rear end first and land easy.

I used to worry about this my first year but then I watched some ocean wave jumping on youtube and knew I would never see what they see on Lake Erie.

Quote Originally Posted by lbihn View Post
    The ribbon delete with that part in the link is the first and only mod I have done to my 12 VXS. I felt the hole shot improvement right away. It is well worth the $50 and a couple hours of your time. Jarrett has excellent commentary on this mod.

I also ride the western end of Lake Erie every weekend and live for small craft advisory days and Noreasters so I can jump rollers. And I smack the hull. Two seasons now and no loose bolts or broken latches like on my last Sea Doo. The smacking happens mostly with a full tank because I can't pull back the handlebars as well with it half-empty. On a VXR hull which is relatively flat and long, you are going to get this. If you haven't noticed already, smacking your hull has a lot to do with the spacing of the waves and your ability to pull back on the ski, putting your weight towards the back, stance, and driving the deck forward with your knees after topping the wave. Keep practicing and you will be able to tip-in the rear end first and land easy.

I used to worry about this my first year but then I watched some ocean wave jumping on youtube and knew I would never see what they see on Lake Erie.

Thank you very much for the detailed answers. I will definitely be purchasing that part and now I won't feel as bad when I'm out jumping waves!

+1
    Other members have just taken the ribbon out and bolted mass air right back on........no issues and save ur $$....and ride it like u stole it !!!!

+1
    4 strokes are generally heavier and If you flip the ski and ingest water, you are much more likely to cause engine damage because there are valves to bend. That being said, I jump my fzs all the time. Sometimes I ride in the Hudson River by Manhattan and the big ferrys and boat traffic really churn up the water. I get the ski all the way in the air easily. The key is to hit head on and land tail first. I like to easy up on the throttle when in the air to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter. Also, make sure you don't have anything heavy loose in the hull like an anchor that could damage stuff.

+1
    And make sure your small tool kit is stowed correctly!! It fits perfectly under the dampner for drive shaft.....I found this out at 70+ up the river around manhattan ...I almost shat myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    And make sure your small tool kit is stowed correctly!! It fits perfectly under the dampner for drive shaft.....I found this out at 70+ up the river around manhattan ...I almost shat myself.....
    Yes it is stowed correctly. I really looked over everything before I took it out the first time. I'm always so careful with everything, you should have seen me when I took it out the first time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    4 strokes are generally heavier and If you flip the ski and ingest water, you are much more likely to cause engine damage because there are valves to bend. That being said, I jump my fzs all the time. Sometimes I ride in the Hudson River by Manhattan and the big ferrys and boat traffic really churn up the water. I get the ski all the way in the air easily. The key is to hit head on and land tail first. I like to easy up on the throttle when in the air to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter. Also, make sure you don't have anything heavy loose in the hull like an anchor that could damage stuff.

Yes I am gonna have to work on making sure I always land tail first. I've also always let off the throttle even on my old ski so now it's a habit which is good. I don't have an anchor yet, I've been trying to find the best one that won't bounce around or do any damage.

Get the 1 kg blue www.cooperanchors.com for $50. We have had 4 PWC's in a row lashed together with just one of these on Lake Erie in 15 mph winds and 2-3' chop.
    They are nylon. I wrap an extra ski vest around it and throw it up front. Keeps it padded while jumping.
    They ship out of Cadillac, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by lbihn View Post
    Get the 1 kg blue www.cooperanchors.com for $50. We have had 4 PWC's in a row lashed together with just one of these on Lake Erie in 15 mph winds and 2-3' chop.
    They are nylon. I wrap an extra ski vest around it and throw it up front. Keeps it padded while jumping.
    They ship out of Cadillac, MI.
    Oh great thanks! Glad it's cheap too. Will definitely be ordering one soon!

Thread Information