Play in Steering?

Hi Guys,

I just finished adjusting the steering so the nozzle is perfectly centered when the bars are centered. The steering is smooth and works correctly.

There is a little bit of play, top to bottom or side to side - basically if you apply force to the bars in any direction other than one you'd use to steer. I pulled the plastic cowels and looked underneath but cant seem to find anything to tighten.

Does anyone have advice on this or do all FX HOs (this one is a 2012) have some play in them?

Sounds pretty normal on all the skis I've ever had or ridden. You did the right thing by taking off the plastic stearing cowels. If memory serves, there are 4 bolts that hold the bars in place.... thats the only place I can think of something that may be loose.

Halton Hills
    id say its bushing play? i dont know the newer skis but i have a bit of that and its just simply the space in the bushing for the steering shaft.

Long Island, NY
    There was another thread for this recently. Bunch of guys (including myself) having this issue with the VXRs

Living outside of Charleston SC.
    It's normal. There is a little "slop" in the pivots around the steer nozzle gimble. Under power I can move the bars on my FZS about 3/8". I pay it no mind and ride.

I was able to get rid of the vertical play the second time I tightened it. The first time it lasted about 10 minutes before it came back. The second time I probably tightened it way too tight, but its still good after a day in the rough on the river.

At the bottom of the steering shaft, I loosened the clamping bolt, slip the steering arm all the way up, while pressing down on the handlebars. Kind of like preloading it. Then tighten the bolt back up. I still have very slight side to side play, but the vertical is gone and thats what was really bothering me. Its kind of all a moot point now since I ordered the Riva steering system so I could put the motocross bars on it

BTW, I think I only had like 4 hours on the brand new ski when I took that video.

Thread Information