Thread: Waterbox help

+1

Waterbox help

Hey, quick question on a waterbox, id like to remove mine from the boat. 2 stroke 500. My question is, what am i risking by doing this? Ive been told a few things. one, that its required for backpressure, and another, that its there purely to muffle the exhaust and limit water flow into the motor. i wold switch to a straight through pipe if possible, or aftermarket water box should it be required. Im new to 2 strokes in PWC's so i dont have a clue on this one.

Thanks!
    Nate

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Why remove the waterbox?

2-stroke watercraft are not like cars, the exhaust affects the engine differently, and the sound levels without a waterbox are going to be rather loud.

If you want more engine power, the waterbox is generally not the first place to start looking.

I have ridden watercraft with no exhaust muffling, and the noise got old after the first few minutes. After an hour my ears were ringing and it was no fun. It was also no faster than before the exhaust was modified

In many cases the most cost effective way to significantly increase performance is buy a different machine with a larger stock engine.

I am not familiar with your particular engine, but the usual route to boosting power on a given 2-stroke engine is to port the cylinders for more top end power. Doing this well takes experience and expertise. There are multiple well regarded shops that know how to do this properly.

Often a carburetor upgrade goes along with the cylinder porting.

Compression increase using premium octane fuel, and engine model specific tweaks are also possible.

Each time you increase engine power, the impeller must be recalibrated or pitch changed to keep the engine in the proper RPM power band and properly utilize the extra HP.

+1
    Yea, was more interested in the sound over power on this one. my question here was more what does it affect engine wise, if anything? purchasing a new machine would be ideal, however im headed back to school and this is a cheap hobby to me. Back when i was working sales, i would have loved to have been into these, id have a bob3 by now!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much the engine is affected in part depends on how much the original exhaust was flowing. You will just have to monitor the piston wash and spark plugs and adjust the carbs as needed to avoid running too lean.

My guess is that you would want to increase the carb jetting to ensure it was running somewhat rich, then go from there and experiment with incrementally leaning it out.

Personally I have little tolerance for loud watercraft. Sound carries a long way over water and many others have developed dark views of PWC riders over the years. The result has been restrictions and in some cases bans of PWC on some waters. I prefer to enjoy my rides without also being a nuisance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Removing the water box will drastically reduce your power. The drone alone will drive you nuts. I advise against it plus the DNR will be looking right at you. If you want to increase noise buy a TDR waterbox or gut the one you have.

+1
    alright thanks for the help. maybe ill save the pennies and grab a TDR after all.

Thread Information