pinion gear on starter fell off. how do I get it out..?

The pinion gear kn my starter fell. Now it is somewhere in the engine. I have tried fishing it out with a magnet. I have been advised by the dealer to pull out the engine, remove the PTO cover and take the starter pinion gear out. Does anyone have an easier way of doing this..?

Thanks..!

+1
    Nope, im afraid that is about the oly way to do it.. How the hell did it fall off??

You will need a new PTO gasket, and some oil, you can get the PTO off with the engine still in but its hard and to be honest its easier just to lift the motor out and do the job right.

R88

3. +1 by:

Somehow the C Clip must have came out, I guess. The thing is, I just rebuilt the engine. The PtO gaskets only has 3 hours on it. Another question, if I take out the driveshaft, and take out the 2 rear engine months, can I just slight lift the engine and take out the PTO cover..? Do I still need the allignment tool when I fix back the engine mounts..?

Thanks..!

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    You can do it with the engine in but it's hard work! Remove driveshaft, undo all 3 engine mounts (top bolt only so you don't disturb the mount itself) maybe leave the front mount bolt in by a few threads, raise back of engine up wiling hoist, try to get pro cover bolts out.

Problems you will have:

No matter how much oil you suck out before, loads will end up in the hull.

Unless you drain the coolant you will stress the coolant hoses where they are still connected as you move the engine.

Using the old PTO gasket you risk having a oil leak. Is it worth saving $18?

Removing the engine and being able to see what you are doing is the best option like Rory said.

85 miles West of DFW South enterance 76462
    Usually trying shortcuts result "why didn't I do this the right way" and doubles your repair time besides this would be an excellent time to re-torque all fasteners since the gaskets have compressed fully. Tip: write compressions on each cylinder like aircraft engines sure beats "where did I put those readings" recommend Junk Yard markers they wipe off with mineral spirits.

Thank you all for your input..!!! I guess i will just have to yank out the engine and do it the right way...!

Thread Information