Virage not running....

Hello all, new to the forum and need some major help. I am working on my 2001 Virage TX with a 1200. It hasn't been ran in about 2 years. 2 years ago a new/rebuilt motor was installed and since then hasn't been in the water. I finally got the ski to start but will not run unless i feather the throttle. I put it in the water and now it will not go passed 2-3k rpms. Runs for about 20 seconds and stalls wether I play with the throttle or not. It also will not idle and to get it started I have to choke it and hold the throttle a little and it will finally start up. I pulled out the plugs and it appears the cylinder furthest to the rear of the ski (#3?) is the only plug that has a discoloration. The other two look and are brand new (all 3 were replaced). I have a spark in all of them checked that. No idea where to go from here. Seems like the ski is running on one cylinder since it won't go passed 2-3k. Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

When the new engine was installed two years ago, was it fueled up and actually run? Did it run properly at that time?

If yes, was the fuel stabilized before the machine was put into storage?

If you have spark but not running on two of the cylinders, my guess is that the old fuel has gummed up the carburetors. A carburetor rebuild and fuel system refresh are probably needed.

See my signature links for common maintenance items and fuel system care.

Can you suggest any reputable parts site to order from? Also I noticed that you have an 04 msx140. I'm supposed to go look at one this weekend with about 60 hrs on it. I there anything specific I should be looking out for??

I was just about to post pretty much the same thing. I'm having the same issue.

Last week it was rubbing perfect until the impeller stud snapped. Replaced that and a new impeller and pump.

Put it back in the water this week and now it will not run passed 40 mph and keeps skipping/misfiring. It pops a little and every time it does it feels like it's trying to snap out of it and wants to take off.

I unplugged the spark plugs one at a time and it turns out the front cylinder is the cause. When I unplug the middle and rear cylinder the ski will not run. I undid the front one and it runs the same as when it's plugged it but it doesn't skip or misfire/pop.

I have a spark but I'm not sure if it's losing the spark along the way.

I took out all of the gas/oil mixture out and put fresh gas in and still nothing.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by K447; 08-22-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... When the new engine was installed two years ago, was it fueled up and actually run? Did it run properly at that time?

If yes, was the fuel stabilized before the machine was put into storage?

If you have spark but not running on two of the cylinders, my guess is that the old fuel has gummed up the carburetors. A carburetor rebuild and fuel system refresh are probably needed.

See my signature links for common maintenance items and fuel system care.
    Have you rebuilt the carburetors?

Thread Information