Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2000 STX DI Piston Beatup, advice needed.

2000 Kawasaki 1100 STX DI

It was running fine, and I was told it suddenly stopped, and did not want to restart. After a few attempts it restarted, but would only go about 20 mph.

Removed the plugs and found one beat up, so did a compression check and found the front hole had zero compression, and the other two had about 130.

Took top end apart and found two holes/pistons perfect, but the one cylinder had the piston beat to hell along with the head. The cylinder had a few marks toward the bottom of the sleeve. Got a good used head off ebay, and getting the hole oversized with a new piston.

Thoughts on what caused, and what I should check before running again?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-15 14.01.24 (Small).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	310419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-15 14.01.34 (Small).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	310420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-15 14.01.49 (Small).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	310421

+1
    bump

Looks like maybe the edge of the piston that is missing peeled off and beat the top of the piston to death. Have you checked to make sure all the crank bearings are still intact? The DI I was given had the wrist pin clip come out and the piston skirt come apart and destroyed the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    Looks like maybe the edge of the piston that is missing peeled off and beat the top of the piston to death. Have you checked to make sure all the crank bearings are still intact? The DI I was given had the wrist pin clip come out and the piston skirt come apart and destroyed the engine.
    I have not taken crank out but it seems to be fine.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    given the shape of the piston I would not be surprised if there was debris in the crankcase..split em now or later..your call there friend. It doesn't take much to kill a crank..and it happens realllly fast. engine case repairs are not inexpensive either.

+1
    My guess would be that an oil line came off, or a worn piston ring got caught in a port.

I'd bet that it didn't just suddenly stop. When that kind of thing happens, it usually slows down noticeably, especially when the pieces close the spark plug gap. The two remaining pistons continue to drive it to total destruction.

Good luck with it!

Whoever had mine had run it for a long long time blown up, I have no idea how it kept running. The wrist pin clip had come out and the pin had machined a groove completely through the cylinder sleeve, the piston skirt from the the wrist pin down was gone and a chunk of it had been shoved through the bottom half of the crank case leaving a hole about the size of a silver dollar. I have no idea how they didnt notice the power being way down and it had to have made a ton of noise when the piston went through the case.

+1
    Another piece of info, I have had an fuel pump code 39 on this ski for a fuel pump issue. Could this have caused the problem? I will check pressure soon.

If your fuel pump turns out to be a problem, a 95 suzuki samurai fuel pump is almost a direct bolt in. You have to modify the rubber foot a little, but other than that its the same pump.

+1
    Tested fuel pressure and it is almost 50. Could this have caused the piston to fail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information